Do I need a subwoofer?

Hopefully I’ve framed this in a way to help people answer. Up until recently I have had a combo 2-channel/home theater system (Krell preamp with home theater bypass, Bryston 5 channel amp, PSB Synchrony 1s bi-amped speakers, Marantz home theater receiver, Power Sound Audio XV15 subwoofer, Oppo CD player). I wanted extra oomph for surround sound movie watching and occasionally some rock music, hence the sub. I was never really impressed with the XV15 sub (have it for sale now). It is insanely large and I wasn’t sure it was adding the oomph I expected, even after having a local hifi shop owner come out for a listen and tune.

What’s changed: A few weeks ago I inherited my late father’s B&W 801 speakers circa 1980, which I have put in place of my PSBs and am enjoying thoroughly despite the age difference.

My questions: (1) would a sub still be of value in my setup (I still like a lot of bass) and (2) what might folks recommend?

Thank you.

olfac87

the QLN Prestige 5s are down 3dB at 26 Hz at 1 meter which means in a normal sized room at 3 meters they are down somewhere around 10 dB. You still need subwoofers if you want to try duplicating a live performance.

That is not how it works. Every frequency is "down" at 3 meters, but depending on cancellation, room response, it could be up at 26.

I have 2 sb3000.  Very happy with them.  Ht they do a fantastic job.  Looking to add another one soon.  They sound great with music, but I am 95 percent ht.  Listened to rel t9/I and jl.  Decided on svs.  Sb3000 had great reviews so I jumped in, no regrets.  I've also seen many great reviews on psa.  I have one sub in front between TV and speaker and another opposite rear corner.  One sub is OK.  But 2 is definitely needed.  I have a anthem avm 60 and used it's room correction, gave me poor results. Friend came over and used rew.  Deal breaker.  If I was going to change subs I probably would look into the psa 21 sealed.  Like I said I'm mainly HT. 

Good luck 

@soix it was so loud in the old Barn. The UC is nice but……the washrooms are a lot nicer lol.