Disco...yep, I'm going there

We've all read the comments about disco music, most seem to heavily weigh on the side of "it sucks". I cannot say how many times I've read that two word remark......yet, without any explanation. One thing for sure, that era defined our consciousness and is an important part of our musical history.

Frankly, I love listening to several artists from that era ... Bee Gees, Donna Summer, KC & The Sunshine Band...………..

I really can't understand how anyone can listen to these artists and not be moved to get up and dance. That IS an emotional connection. The exact connection most of us long for. So, what's the problem?
128x128slaw

Showing 4 responses by tlong1958

I always thought disco was a joke, and it wasn’t very funny.
And the Talking Heads were not even close to being disco. Not sure how anyone could make that connection.
Saturday Night Fever was an extremely crappy movie. Except for the part where the one guy jumped off the bridge into the river. That was kinda funny. I remember wishing that the rest of them would jump off the bridge also, so that the movie would be over sooner. IMO of course

@dbx01 You would lose that bet. But you also made a few good points. 
If you like disco, that’s cool with me
@dbx01 Let’s not forget how meaningful and intellectual the “beautiful” music was. 
Everyone I knew was glad when disco died. Because it sucked. 
But it was replaced with country pop. Which might have been even worse 
@glupson. I was at the movie with a date and she thought the movie was great. I suffered through it to make her happy. Got dragged into discos because that’s where all the girls wanted to go, and I like girls. Hated the disco music and the idiotic disco lifestyle.