Digital inputs ....is one really better than another?

My current digital system is a Bryston BDP-1/BDA-1 combo connected via AES/EBU. My plan is to upgrade at least the DAC in the very near future. I noticed that most higher end DACS don’t have AES/EBU inputs. Is it because the AES/EBU is inferior in SQ? If this is the case, I want my replacement DAC to have AES/EBU for use with my current player and the preferred input for a future player upgrade.  
rockyboy
OP, nothing for nothing as I've been reading the thread now since its inception and remained on the sidelines... Steve (audioengr) is unquestionably extremely knowledgeable, and (as I always do) should be thanked repeatedly for imparting his knowledge (and even going further to present measurements as evidence).

But in my experience and to my ears, and I implore you to do the same if you can and if practical in this case is "use your ears and then examine what your brain tells you". 

To share what I've discovered, despite whatever measurements the naysayers will produce, is that AES/EBU bests S/PDIF, and S/PDIF bests USB. Simple as that.
I appreciate everyone’s input. I lack local audio stores and can’t afford to ship in equipment to audition. And I suspect I have only a single upgrade in my future before “the wife” puts her foot down. So that’s why I’m asking questions. I’ve followed Steve on this forum for years and the man knows his stuff but he’s way over my head with his knowledge. I’m a plug and play guy. The technical aspects just give me a headache. That said, think I’ll pursue a Lampizator DAC with AES/EBU and maybe upgrade to a Bryston BDA-2......and then find contentment  with my system . 
The Audiophileo2 has a AES/EBU output that attaches directly to the BDA-1 AES/EBU input. Also comes with adapter that allows connection to RCA coax.