Differences in YouTube, Spotify, etc.

What music streaming service do most members use, and why?

128x128rickguild

The files streaming services send out are acquired from record companies or other copyright holders. The hi res services all send the file unaltered. Can someone explain why they think the same file sounds better on one service than another? Once you receive the file, what happens depends on your system. 

Exact same reason @bipod72 for choosing Spotify over others. Have heard Tidal and Qobuz before and they sounded mush better on my system. But they did not have the world music I needed nor some obscure music that I listen to.

I recently searched Deezer and found that it does have a lot of world music that I need, has hifi and it's connect works the same way as Spotify connect to control the desktop app. I will try Deezer after the Spotify Stream On event after checking if Spotify is going to introduce HiFi soon. I have a feeling that Spotify HiFi could be the reason that Tidal dropped their HiFi prices.

Amazon HD. I access via HEOS and stream to a wired Marantz network audio player when I want to listen on my main audio system.  Decent-rez service with a good selection at a low price because we are already Amazon Prime subscribers.

I use mostly to check out music I’ve heard/read about.  If I really like something and want to support the artist I buy a high-rez download for my digital library.

I tried them all, and Qobuz is by far the best in my experience. Spotify I use for casual streaming and is great for music discovery.

Tidal is a cut above Spotify on sound quality, Amazon HD was the most disappointing of them all and canceled shortly after.

I didn’t tally all the responses, but my impression is that when the choice was between Tidal and Qobuz, Qobuz was by far the preferred choice.  I wonder why that is???  
Too bad for me, because I prefer Qobuz too.  I have a family option on Tidal while I would  have to pay the full price for Qobuz.  I had my own subscription to Qobuz for about two years and loved it.  I’m into classical music and I think Qobuz has a better selection.  I use Roon to stream my own ripped music.  Roon offers a choice of Qobuz or Tidal which is not a problem for me because  I won’t listen to any service if it’s not at least CD quality.