Describe The Listening Room of Your Dreams...

I think there have been many threads on listening room acoustics, speaker placement etc but my thoughts over the weekend related to a different type of listening room challenge.

With Henry Higgin's library/laboratory in My Fair Lady as my rough draft inspiration, I have set up my latest system in a very traditional, high ceilinged room with a big fireplace.

There are a couple of bookcases filled with my favourite books, a huge Chesterfield sofa, a comfy chair and ottoman, a Steinway baby grand, internet access from a desk in the corner, and movie projection on the wall behind the Tympanis.

Now I really shouldn't complain with such a nice room, but what I have discovered is that I am so tempted by all of these various hobbies and interests that I am more easily distracted and almost LESS inclined to sit down, relax and listen to music?!?!

With hindsight, a more zen like room might have been a better idea and I will definitely do less for the house in the country.

As I thought this over -- as much as I love the look and feel of my present room -- I also realized there were myriad other puzzles to solve.

Should the preamp be next to my listening chair? (There is no remote for volume) The source? (I sometimes like to listen to single tracks from different discs) All the components? ( But I like power amps next to speakers and short runs of speaker wire.)

Where could records/CDs/DVDs be kept to allow easy access and comfortable review without creating visual clutter?

Although it is popular to listen in the dark, could special lighting or lighting effects enhance the listening experience?

What type of environment, architecture, furniture, decor, view, lighting, or atmosphere would help you to best enjoy music and your audio system?

Describe the price no object listening room of your dreams!
cwlondon

Showing 1 response by chilidog91311

To UNSOUND: To answer your question regarding "what a large sphere shaped room would sound like, if you sat in the middle of it", the answer is that it would sound as worse as it possibly could!!!! The reason? Well my experience with acoustics suggests that you'd have so much reflected sound focused right at your ears, that you'd the sound would sound like you're head waz inside an over amplified megaphone!...magnified! ALWAYS avoid "concave" surfaces in your listening room, as they "focus" the sound right back at your ears like a lense, making for very unatural sound, or the antithisis of open, uncongested, even sound.
For reference, read F. Alton Everest's book "Master Handbook of Acoustics" (any edition).,