Denon DL 103R vs. AT OC9 - MLII

Has anyone had the chance to compare these two MC carts? Based on specs, the AT appears to be slightly more compliant and have slightly more output. I'm also wondering if the AT's stylus shape would make it a bit quieter in the groove?
roblanger

Showing 7 responses by roblanger

Thanks, Phill

Ideally I'd want a cart that would work on both of my arms: Linn Basik LV-X and Clearaudio Satisfy.
After checking a cartridge/arm database calculator, it seems that neither of these carts would be a good choice for my arms. Oh well......
Thank you, Gentleman.

I'm currently running the Dynavector 10x5 on the Linn, so I'm thinking that going to one of the less expensive AT carts might be a bit of a sideways move? I've never tried either of them so I wouldn't be able to say for sure.

I bought the Dynavector when I was still using an X-LPS phonostage, but now that I am using a MiniMax I'd like to take advantage of its MC capability. The loading is not adjustable so I'm forced to run the Dynavector through the MM input.

I have been running a Virtuoso Wood cart on the Satisfy arm. This arm actually has a lower effective mass than the Basik.

I have two turntables: one is a suspended design, the other non-suspended. I'm trying to create two different sounding setups, thus the desire to run a low/medium output MC on one of the tables.
Mapman,

Glad to hear that the DL103R works well with your Axis/Basik, which is similar to my older LP-12. I have read a few posts where this cart seemed to work well on some arms where it shouldn't have.
Raul -

Thanks for the input regarding my phono stage and for confirming some of the cart recommendations that Viridian and others have made.

I remember reading a synopsis by Michael Fremer on the MiniMax where he felt the top end could be bit soft on the MM side, so I assumed that perhaps the MC side of the phonostage was a bit better in that aspect.

There's obviously more choices for MM than MC carts with the arms than I'm presently using. I am considering replacing the Basik arm with one of the Rega variants, but once again there seem to be less MC choices for a medium-mass tonearm.

I'd like to choose a cart that will work best with my phonostage, work well with the Basik, but will still be a good choice when I go to upgrade the arm.
I'm very tempted to give the AT150 a shot. Lots of bang for the buck. I think the stylus/cantilever is similar to the OC9. Seems like a good tracker :)