Denon AH-D5000 anyone compare to Grado RS 1i

I am looking for some input (LOL) from some of the more serious user’s of headphones. I have never used them for any length of time recently. Yrs back when I was a traveling drummer and worked in the studio we were of course forced to use them and there’s where quite offend very expensive and SEALED I remember it felt like my ears where in a vacuum and being sucked out (treuly air tight)!

Any way I listen to a lot of Latin guitar and percussion music, Brass with power, I like deep natural bass and wide detailed sound stage. The live feeling of music and I am not sure if I can afford a pr of headphones to meet that need.

Equipment would be my Esoteric X-05 SACD/CD player through my McIntosh C220 preamp I am using Mazda 1958 military tubes and it is very sweet. I bought my kid a pr of Bose on-ear headphones which he did not want because he likes ear buds, so I tried them one time and they really are not made for this set up. They are more I think for travelers and I-Pod users.

I read a review that the Denon AH-D5000 Reference Headphones are quite a stereophile pr of cans, as well as the Grado RS 1i. Would love to hear what you guys think or any other thoughts. I found the Denon’s brand new for $418 shipped at Amazon quite a deal I thought for new.

Thank you for your help-
vx700

Showing 1 response by loose

Before shelling out huge bucks for the likes of Grado's RS1i, I would look at the sr325i, as it seems to fit the description of the type of sound for which you're looking. They sound amazing on strings, their bass plumbs into the depths and they have a very expansive soundstage. Some people complain of sibilance/ too hot on the top end, but if you have quality, smooth sounding components, they may be a great match.

Btw, Johnny fyi - if i'm not mistaken, not all Beyer models are open. When I last looked, they had closed back models as well. Things could be different now, though... haven't checked out their products in a while.