Denon 103r ????

I have made some improvement to my 103r, but am still getting tonal imbalance with this cartridge.
It's too bright and edgy on some recordings!
At times it sounds incredible, excellent imaging and sound stage.
What do I do though to tame down the brightness. Change the tracking force a bit or tracking angle, change the loading, impedence or capacitance. Add more tonearm bearing fluid or remove?
pedrillo

Showing 4 responses by storyboy

First, I disagree with some of the people here. The Denon has a well deserved reputation; sorry you can't get it to sing.

Second, reverse the phase on the cartridge pins and verify proper phase on your system. I have found the 'R' to reverse phase.

Third, do not tighten the headshell screws very much - just tight enough to hold and that's all.

Fourth, check and verify that the stylus does not have a problem with azimuth. Use a 10-20 magnifier and make sure it's 90 degrees IN THE GROOVE - use a mirror or cd to help show it.

As Edle suggested, the Graham is not a good combo with this cart. Email Graham for additional advice.
Sorry you have dismissed the 103r so prematurely, Raul, especially because you have not even tried it. Your logic is flawed.

I have listened to alot of your 'choice' cartridges for many years- they are all in perfect condition. And while they are very good, the 103r in stock form is quite capable as well, and better than most.

I still have MF-100&200, F9e, Decca w/ Garrott retip, AC-2, Zyx r20, Stanton 991, AT-170, Grado Sig., B&O mmc 20cl, Astrion, Koetsu Rosewood, etc.

If you choose not to participate in the pleasures of a $270 music bargain, I can live with that. No disrespect intended, just criticism. Best wishes.
Raul, I can see we indeed have different ideas about music/sound repro, so I'll inform you and others from where I speak.

Music has been my love since childhood, both prerecorded and participatory. I play piano, guitar, percussion, trumpet, clarinet, flute, and just about anything I've ever picked up in my hands. I have owned a music store for more than 20 years and built a recording studio in the back to record myself and other people. I design and build my own tube amplification and speakers, and sometimes tweak my setup till I'm dizzy in the head.

I know what a Selmer Mark 6 Tenor sax, Guild D-40 acoustic, or Sabian medium thin 16" crash sounds like because I can walk right over to one and play it or have one of my teachers play it, anytime I want.

And I am fully aware of the limitations and intricacies of prerecorded music, analog or digital.

If I may, I would suggest you review and re-assess your 'audio priorities'.
Raul, you sound alot like my wife, ascribing words that I never said. The 103'r' is a music bargain in today's market. I am not in love with it, although I do like it very much.

Your penchant for getting the last word is certainly not absent on this thread. You pontificate with a practised skill.

And like I said earlier, if you want to dismiss the 103r, then 'palma non sine pulvere'. I can, however, recommend it or the 103 to anyone who might have difficulty finding any of the better MM's of yesteryear that many of us reading these pages have long known about, and suggest it not as an alternative, but a primary consideration because of its price/performance.

Vroom, vroom.