David Berning Quadrature Z or Vitus SS-101

I've been using a Vitus SS-101 for some time and it's certainly a fantastic amp. I've been wanting to try a great tube amp that's not sloppy in the bass and i've negotiated the purchase of a David Berning Qaudrature Z. I will a/b test on my system and sell the one that loses the shootout. Any thoughts on what's the better amp?
128x128davidhyman

Showing 5 responses by davidhyman

thanks for the feedback everyone. darkmoebius, source is lyra titan I, spiral groove centroid arm, spiral groove table, lyra erodian step up transformer into air tight ate-2 phono/pre

speakers are loiminchay kandinsky w/ TAD compression drivers.

d
dark, i probably should consider air tight amps.

i guess the appeal to me of the berning is that it's going to have very tight bass compared to most tube amps and in my room, even with ample low frequency acoustical treatments, it borders on "wooly" - which is fine. sounds like live music. but a traditional tube amp can tilt it the wrong way.

the berning, with its ability to control the amount of feedback/dampening, allows to couple the woofer without over or undershooting the woofers. you can really dial it in!
i've thought about that. i guess my only concern would be raising the positioning of the tweeter relative to the listening position. it took many days of measurement to get speaker placement right. the speakers dispersion characteristics are not awful but not great either. i'd probably get some high frequency roll off if i jacked the speakers up more than an inch from where they're at now.
hey, seriously good point on raising the chair!!! never ever thought about that. that's genius!!!