DAT - what to do with Panasonic SV-3700

40 years ago, in our quest for audio nirvana, we also messed around with a DAT and good microphones, recording anything from a dripping bath tub faucet in the middle of the night (lower noise floor!) in a small bathroom to live recordings. 

So I so this Panasonic SV-3700 in an estate sale and figure I want it. 

Now, I have not idea what to do with it. Found this encouraging post:

"The Panasonic SV-3700 enjoyed a great reputation for its extreme reliability in pro settings and for its exceptional warm sounding analog-digital conversion circuit (the DAC stage alone is more than worth the asking price). It is simply a great machine for moving analog music source recordings over to digital formats."

Can the 'DAC stage' be used in conjuction with a CD transport? But since it is vintage, maybe today's built in DAC (in CD players) are better anyways? 

Maybe best offered to an enthusiast who is actually using it to convert his analog material into digital format?

kraftwerkturbo

I did concert and field recording and owned a Panasonic 3700, Sony R300 and a Tascam DAP1. I kept the Tascam and ended  up just tossing the other two, as no one wanted them, even for $100. 

If  the 3700 has a digital input, give it a try!

It digital in as optical and coax.

Ditto out. 

And XLR for analog. 

Not sure what the "AES/EBU" is for. Maybe mics? 

Picture 11 of 13

Any of those three Rec inputs from your transport, through the XLR analog outputs …but I wonder if you’ll have to have Rec/Play engaged with a tape loaded.

And aes/ebu is digital XLR