Danish loudspeakers: Dynaudio & System Audio

Recently, I've auditioned a pairs of Dynaudio Focus 110, I'm pretty impressed with the sound, but if I choose to buy the Focus 160, I'm a bit worry on the bass resonance problem due to rear ported design, some Dynaudio users report such problem too. I'm living in a medium room, where space is very limited, thus I'm considering to audition a pairs of System Audio Mantra 5, same Danish loudspeaker design, seem well regarded from some of the feedbacks, though I have to contact them to check whether any audition available in Malaysia, from the Website I'm able to search out a location though. Anybody heard of the System Audio speakers, any opinions or impressions how it sound?
128x128wim1983

Showing 12 responses by wim1983

@Bo1972 I agree with you Dynaudio cabinet build still less a bit top notch grade, if consider their cabinet port design and innovative ideas, something like transmission line, though I'm very impressed with the crossover and driver controls, it's very solid build, though lack a bit flexibility when comes to drum kicks sound. What other brands come close to that? With better flexibility in normal room listen?
@Lowrider57: What are some of the best Dali standmounts for near full range musical listening? I'm planning to visit a shop with Focal, PSB & Dali
@Phusis: The price of SCM SCM19v2 is out of my budget, ATC SCM19 closer to my budget, but I'm not convinced what are the special about these 2 versions? sparkling high with more air without sounding harsh? I thought ATC speakers sound on high freq. is not quite their strength? Not? Even for bass I've bit concert if it will be too shy for sealed cabinet design, hmm...
@Bo1972: oh, it's you again, "3D guys", haha I remember now, thanks for Monitor Audio poison, I'd heard a pairs of Monitor Audio BX2, the metal tweeter sound a bit edgy and harsh, even via Marantz PM6004 amp known for less sibilant kinda sound, personally I've gone through much troubles with metal tweeters, it's will be no no for me ever, lol. Though I'm sure there are some forgiving models like the silver series
@Mr_bill, @Lowrider: Thanks for the suggestions, Epicon is way out of my budget, both the Epicon and Rubicon is rear ported

@Jafant: You mean the Dynaudio / System Audio is "okay" speakers? How would you describe Thiel standmount at best? My thought is Thiel need very careful matching with gears, not an easy to cope with even in terms of price

@Amater: Great suggestions, I've been looking forward to hear some ATC or PMC, but doubt the 2 brands' tweeter can sound as good as Dynaudio tweeter? Especially on high?

Still, my current top 3 standmounts shortlisted:
1. Dynaudio Focus 160 - I dun see any issues here as long as you give enough clean power, space and resonance could be the only biggest concern here

2. PSB Synchrony One B - For 30 years on loudspeakers design, I think these are pretty all rounder that worth serious considerations, I'll try to arrange for auditions soon

3. ATC SCM19 / PMC Twenty 22 - It's British loudspeakers, I expect they sound romantic and musical, but I'm a bit hesitate on dynamic capability, high freq. air energy and price

Again, I'm using a transparent JDS Labs ODAC and full blown Class D Audio SDS-400C power amp, so it would be very obvious right on audition if the speakers does not suit me well
@Chrshanl37: Thanks for the info, asides from price, I'm doom even to consider the shipping fee in USD, haha, not very worthwhile for me to buy any American product right now, unless some of the small affordable gear like JDS Labs ODAC

@Lowrider57: Most probably I'm going for Focus 140, I've been considering System Audio Mandra 5 / Harbeth P3ESR too, but I think these 2 will cost more, the first I'm on the process to ask for an audition, it's not available in Malaysia. While the second definitely over my budget by a fraction...
@Pani: hmm, I'm a bit skeptical about the dynamic you mentioned, apart from speakers material, amp & source also play a role in distortion and dynamic measurement, I'm not sure the statement that ATC speakers is more dynamic than Dynaudio Confidence series, to me they should be only reach the same level if both put their efforts & technology right on. And when you mention about natural sound, I'm thinking that's in a way "coloured" sound, just a matter of taste, another concern I'm not considering ATC is the price point is way out of my budget, especially the ATC SCM19v2
@Pani: I'm not saying ATC is not dynamic enough, indeed I think it's a speakers that generally consider to be on the top if come to mid range presentation, but the crushing kinda high freq. sound with more air is more of my liking, and I'm not sure ATC is good at that, Dynaudio may not the best for mid range, but the mid clarity of Dynaudio Focus 110 did surprise me, regarding the dynamic testing, I will arrange an audition, I've got some crazy tracks which I believe not many speakers can withstand hehe xD
@Missioncoonery: I've read some Scansonic related press, it's the poor man Raidho right?
@Bo1972: I'm sure the Monitor Gold GX100 is a great speakers, I shall find a chance to audition whether it's my cup of tea
@Amater: Ya, it's a long process, generally British speakers are more famous compare to others, there is a vendor in my country that sell both the ATC and Acoustic Energy in my country