Dali Helicon 800. What components match with it?

An audiophile I met invited me over to hear his system. He recently bought Helicon 800 speakers. He had considered the Helicon 400 that Absolute Sound raved about, but in comparing the two, he said the 800 won, hands down.

I thought they sounded great in every way. Great bass, clarity, imaging, with a natural sound. The combination of a soft dome tweeter crossed high to a ribbon gives an open, airy quality. Plus the woodworking and finish are stunning. If you get a chance to see one in person, do so, as photos don't do them total justice.

He did find though that the Dali's made him hear that his amp was too bright, so he changed amps from an older Parasound to an Audio Research transistor. He also made cabling changes that he said made a tremendous difference.

Anyone had experience with this speaker? Does it require careful matching of associated equipment? How does it compare to the Helicon 400?
audiosoul

Showing 1 response by rdkc01

I have just brought a pair of Helicon 800's in my home to audition and must say I am very impressed. I was just at the Rocky Mountin Audiofest a few weeks back with a goal to come up with short list of top tier speakers. Dali was on the list. The Dali folks had the new Helicon 400 II's set up. As we know room placement is a factor at these shows. I must admit the demo I experienced there was not the best. The highs were ripping to me and this was with a 120 watt Cary tube amp being run in a vertical bi-wire configuration. (??) Needless to say I had several conversations with respected audiphiles on the topic and kept an open mind. I too only have about 30 hours of break in time. The detail is incredible and the highs are not offensive at all. These are are easy speakers to drive. I am currently using a Bryston 120 watt ST series amp and even at higher volumes there is plenty of head room.
I have heard the summation of the MS-5 vs the 800 put this way. The difference is hearing aaaa compaired to aaawe. The MS-5 is more revealing of the associated electronics. I have not heard the difference myself but would love to. I too would be interested in seeing additional impressions of those who are in the know. If there is a significant WOW factor moving to the MS-5 from the 800 I am inclined to go there. I do find these 800's have alot of WOW as it is.