DAC or Upgrade To MX150 From D2V??

My setup includes Nautilus 802's, a pair of Mcintosh MC303's and an Anthem D2V. When I listen to 2 channel audio from my Sonos (all ripped lossless of course) in Stereo, the audio is lackluster on the Anthem. I had a much better sounding preamp before so I know how good it can be, but alas I sold it and now have to deal with what I have, and trust me, I've tried everything. What do you think, should I purchase a good quality DAC and run the two channel via the (purportedly very good) analog direct on my D2V, or break down and get the Mcintosh MX150? Appreciate everyone's thoughts!
allen_bh

Showing 2 responses by prpixel

Allen,

I also own an Anthem D2v. I use a Squeezebox instead of the Sonos. Like Cbw stated, use the coax instead of the optical. Also, use ARC to clean up your room. I was dead set against using it because I paid big bucks to have my room analyzed and tuned. After talking to Anthem, they convince me to try it. It did make a difference and I've left it on. While the D/A converters are pretty good in the D2v, you can do better. Again, like Cbw suggested, I would consider the Wyred4sound DAC-2. The Sabre32 D/A chip in the DAC-2 is hard to beat at the $1500 price point. I would also suggest that you upgrade the power supply on the Sonos; the switcher is pretty bad. I've upgraded the power supply on my SB and it makes a huge difference. I think the boys at W4S offer a Mod for the Sonos. I would suggest that you call Anthem Tech Support. I've spent many hours talking to Pierro and the other Techs and they've been more than willing to hold my hand as I've suffered through many bouts of Audio Nervosa.