DAC for 300-400 $

I have Prodigy HD2 DE, and soon will have Senheiser 650 with some AMP. Do I need a DAC to get considerable quality boost from prodigy hd2 in price <400$. I dont want spend my money for small benefits instead of my sound card, I need real another level of quality. My variants of dacs:

Shiit Bifrost
Emotiva XDA-1
HRT Streamer II+
ADCOM DAC

Or reccommend something other. I'd very like to listen people who have or had prodigy hd2 and upgraded it to normal DAC.
128x128gangstel

Showing 1 response by timlub

ok, I'll bite. I shopped heavily at the same price point.
Schiit, Arcam rDac, Musical Fidelity VDAC II were at the top of the list. I ended up with this and am quite happy.

Valab WM8741 24bit 192k USB DAC --- Dual WM8741 (mono mono configuration) Balanced output
It is now $380 delivered. The Valab has the well known Tenor USB interface, which does 24/96, but is not Asynchronous. I ended up also buying a Lars Audio USB interface that is Asynchronous, uses galvanic isolation on the power supply and processes with a similar chip of the Schiit Bifrost, does 16/44 through 24/192 (thats all i've tried) Excellent build. This has been a very satisfying combination. Rich, textured, detailed, tight and fast.
Good Luck, there is alot of nice gear out there, find the one right for you. Tim