Customer Service Experience with REL

First time poster, long time lurker here. Unfortunately, my first post is motivated by a negative experience. Take it as you will, I’m just reporting my experience.

As part of setting up a second system with Kef LS50’s, I chose the REL S/3 and went on their website. Being up here in Canada, I was directed toward the nearest dealer to me in Ontario. I placed my order and the sub was drop-shipped to my house. To my dismay, I found the sub damaged upon opening the box. In the box, the feet are literally about an inch from the single layer of cardboard on the bottom. Two of the feet received an impact during shipping, and on one foot the plate had completely sheared off. Taking a second look from outside of the box, there is some wrinking of the cardboard on one side, but nothing serious.

Well, I call the dealer, and he says it’ll be taken care of. Dealer says FedEx are not responsible once they deliver it. After about 5 days, dealer says REL is offering to send me another foot. This has happened a few times and someone just fixed it themselves. I request a replacement, as the cabinet finish is marred next to where the two feet have been pushed sideways. Several more days go by, and I decide to call REL to see about the hold up. They say they don’t know, they will try to reach my dealer and assign a salesman to help out. Several days later, dealer says he’s waiting to hear from REL. About two weeks out from receiving the sub, I call back REL, and they tell me it’s a "dealer issue" and they’ll reach out to the dealer. Dealer texts me right away and tells me to stop calling REL as they don’t have the resources to deal with me and I should deal with him. So I call him, and he doesn’t answer. Texts me a little later telling me he’s at dinner with his wife, he’ll call me tomorrow. He mentions he is finalizing the replacement with REL, and is just waiting for a response from his contact at REL. Long story short, next day I request a return on the sub for a refund. He begrudgingly offers the return (I pay shipping of course at a cost of $160).

What I thought was interesting:
1. Dealer texts me at one point and says he wouldn’t have sold me the sub (via drop-shipping) given the trouble he’s going through dealing with the issue.
2. Both the dealer and REL don’t know why the other side is taking so long to respond.
3. REL is "really sorry" but the damage to the sub is a rare issue and a "freak" occurrence.
4. What is more, REL says they sold the sub to their "retailer," so once it is sold to them it is not really their issue to deal with. "Think of Wal-Mart or Target. We sell to them and they sell to you." "The guarantees on are website are only for those who purchase from from the website." In other words, US customers only.
5. The customer service rep from REL says that she’ll "maybe" bring this poor experience up to her supervisor. "Sorry. Have a nice rest of the day!"

I found a deal on a JL Audio Fathom and it’s on the way. I think you should vote with your dollars when it comes to service. I’m going to enjoy the Fathom so much more now. Thanks for reading!
drhee39
FedEx will softly whisper, “Carmack Amendment.”  The seller will join with shipment contract. The manufacturer will advise lack of prvity, and you are an incidental “party.”  Sum: you got lucky even though it doesn’t feel like it. 
Well at least you got a response from REL. I owned 3 of their subs (2 strata's and a stadium) - all 3 had amp problems - I no longer live in the state where I bought them - so could not use the dealer. I tried to contact REL - I did not even want them to pay for anything - just point me in the direction - nothing. I was told the "new" ownership was better - they were not. In 40 years of buying audio this company is about the worst customer service I have ever had. Sold them for parts. Bought 2 Fathom F113 v2 - much better sub and much better company. The stadium was at least cherry so made a decent looking side table!
Appreciate the comments everyone. I'm enjoying the Fathom F112v2 very much at the moment. I can definitely say that it came packaged way, way better than the S/3. Thick foam top and bottom, an extra layer of cardboard around the sides, and a wood board below everything with large plastic feet screwed onto the board OUTSIDE the box. Much more sensible. The packaging on the S/3 is a joke by comparison.
I have a REL S5 and I love it.
My dealer was solid and I have had no problems period.
REL has my highest recommendation.

IMO you had a dealer issue, not a REL issue.