Current sensing phono stages w/Rega?

Hey folks,

Anyone using Channel D Lino C 2.0 or the Sutherland Little Loco with a Rega RP8? 

I got some great advice here on researching my first cartridge and phono stage upgrade.

Cartridge was upgraded from the Exact MM to the Ania Pro MC on my Rega RP8.

After researching the suggested phono stages, I home demoed a Musical Surroundings Nova III (with both stock walwart and optional LPS), Rega ARIA MK3 MM/MC, Black Ice Audio F159, and a Konus Audio Vinyle 1000MC Mark II.

The Konus is the only current sensing unit and the one I like the best. 

Two other current sensing units I would like to try are the Channel D Lino C 2.0 and the Sutherland Little Loco but came across the following:

The Absolute Sound Channel D Lino C 2.0 review excerpt:

Briefly, any phono cable/tonearm combination where twisted-pair-conductor cables are employed and the two conductors are not connected to the turntable (or shield) ground can be used. An example of a tonearm/cable that can’t be used would be a standard Rega ’arm where the shield is connected to one of the outer shells of the RCA, which is also a signal connection.

Stereophile Sutherland Little Loco review excerpt:

Your tonearm wiring must be fully balanced between cartridge and phono preamp, with no connections between any of the tonearm leads and ground. That means that the Little Loco won't work, for example, with your Rega arm, unless it's rewired. 

Has anyone rewired a Rega to work with either?

Thanks everyone!

hleeid

Showing 13 responses by jc51373

I have a Konus 1000 Phono stages (it’s wonderful), with a Rega P10 and it’s making a very undesirable, very audible hum to my speakers. This is mainly due to Regas old school ground wiring scheme. It will not be a simple easy fix, which is counter-intuitive to why I chose this table. Supposed to be easy set and forget, which it is, at the expense and limitation of using certain phonos and carts. 

This will likely preclude me from using any dual mono, (possibly fully balanced) Phono stages without living with this hum issue. This to me, is yet another limitation to the Rega tables, and to me the P10 shouldn’t have this lack of flexibility at it’s price.

Thanks, was just responding to your other post. 

Did you just plug yours in with no hum? 

@lewm 

thanks and yes I understand it’s possible, but I’d get a new Phono before I modify my tonearm. The real question is why doesn’t konus accomodate the wiring scheme of one of the most widely sold TT/TA brands in the world. I’d rather them change than alter my TT

@lewm 

You're making the assumption I a) have time to spend soldering and figuring out how to out think Roy Gandy's design.- I don't...And b) that my perception of this or any other piece of hifi I own is coveted- I don't. 

But feel free to carry on with your suggestions. 

No worries, I get it trust me. I am sure it's something I could do if I could find time to focus on it for a couple of days and figure it all out. 3 kids, and a busy job in real estate give me barely enough time to listen let alone tinker. Part of why I went with the Rega set up since it's relatively closed up one and done. Now this! Might as well got a table I could easily modify! 

I am sure I will track it down through trial and error, ground loops are just a mystery to most. 

@hleeid 

I am using the Hana Umami Red. My table has not been rewired, I am referring to the fact Rega uses a floating ground and doesn't use a balanced connection when I say that. 

I've tried a few combinations and the hum is still very present. Not sure how I feel about putting a filter on my system for this. Too bad because this is a spectacular PS for the money. Low level listening is best I've heard. 

@dover

Thank you Dover!! Yes I’d prefer them to do it since they chose this stupid method of grounding that creates limitations.

The one thing I will say for Rega is they support the heck out of their products. I love the TT so I don’t want to give it back to the dealer but I also HATE this limitation.

@lewm 

It just means it's not to earth (see plug on Rega power supply), it's floating because it's using the ground of the other piece of equipment through the RCA rather than the neutral wire of the power supply on the power supply itself. So simply put, it's a ground not attached Earth, just some other thing, in this case Chassis. 

@dover 

Where did you get the information that Rega will make a balanced arm? Their US distributor is stating they have NEVER done that for anyone. 

Thanks guys..I have another Phono stage coming tomorrow. Tron Convergence, which is not a current sensing. Gonna shoot em out and obviously listen for any noise from the Tron. Will report back. 

Not writing off the Konus 1000 yet, it's a really good PS. Like REALLY good. 

Got the other phono stage, it does NOT have the Buzzing noise, and as I mentioned it is not a current sensing phono, rather a voltage regulating. It’s a great phono stage, but the Konus is better, and the difference is not small. Dynamics are better, sound stage deeper, dynamics and leading edges better, bass it tigher and stronger. Its like the gain is turned up more than it is on the Tron, neither have adjustable gain.

Creates a dilemma since the one that sounds better has the noise. I am going to call britaudio next week to see if they have seen this before and see if they can validate that if I rewire the Tone Arm it will solve this issue.