Coping in an Age of Uncertainty

there have been numerous threads here, i know, about sacd v. dvd-a, upsampling, oversampling, etc. a number of these threads have included discussions of which, if any, new digital format will replace what we now call “redbook” cd’s. i don’t wish to rehash these discussions. rather, i’d like to hear from others how they are coping with the “age of uncertainty” in the realm of digital audio. is it better to “roll the dice” and invest in sacd or dvd a? ignore the contenders for the new and get the best possible out of redbook cd’s? buy with upgradeability firmly in mind? follow another path? i don’t post this query out of mere curiosity. i really haven’t figured out what course i should follow. i’d appreciate your giving me a hand. -kelly
cornfedboy
For me, the nature of the uncertainty has shifted. After investing good money to have my SACD player modded, I now feel that what I really want to accomodate in my system is a hard drive as a source. This may have me going back to a separate DAC, which I'd really prefer not to do. I'd like to see some of the new breed of universal players support digital in, so that they not only play all discs but can handle hard disk input. Now *that* would be universal.

I think the hard disk as a source is an absolute freight train, which the high end needs to embrace.
Some goners are saying get SACD, a top player is only $1500 and it will sound as good as a Wadia 850

the SACD players are going to get better and a lot cheaper because Sony are not trying to make money out of selling you the player, the real prize is your music collection,

Its 25 thousand dollars to convert your existing 1000 cd collection to SACD but more importantly you are locked into their new format for all your future music purchases.

Look at how many people ditched vinyl and over the years have gradually replaced titles they used to own with inferior cd copies,this is what the new format companies want you to do again.

I havent owned a record player for 25 years but I got one recently because there is so much music available for only a few dollars a copy

Imo it might be less than 5 years before music can be downloaded and replayed at the quality levels we have from todays formats and new cds SACD or whatever will go into decline but imagine how many cheap cds there will be when everyone switches to the new format.

The Major music companies have done nothing in the past to endear themselves (quite the opposite)so I for one will not be buying into their latest formats for a very long time,my only regret is for the artists ( but did they get a good deal? )
So for me its spend aprox 3000 on a cd player or dac transport get SACD quality playback from my existing redbboook collection and keep collecting vinyl and CD
As was said previously only when I go to the record shop and the vast majority of music is not available is it time to switch formats but then bricks and morter stores will also be obsolete,Tupperware style music parties anyone ?
I still have my redbook cd player and am extremely happy with it. However I continue to seriously ponder purchasing a universal player - despite the fact that I almost always choose music over video and I have separate setups. Why do I choose music? It sounds wonderful and can transport me away from the anxieties of the moment. However I continue to think about buying a universal player. I do not own any dvd-a. I own a few hybrid sacds. I own 2,000 redbook cds. If I throw away and stop reading my stereophile magazines would that stop the "want"? I am currently in the "I am not buying an universal player" mode. Most likely will be here for a while.
Post removed 
I have gone hard drive. I use a Mac laptop running iTunes, and a 500 GB hard-drive. WIth a high speed internet connection I get about 300+ radio stations and have about 600 CD's ripped onto my hardrive. I run this through an Audio Aero Prima DAC (which serves as a DAC and my preamp -- a nice tube preamp at that). and I am in heaven. This has totally revolutionized the way I listen to music as I now have my entire CD collection at my fingetipps--a scroll and click away. My CD's are in the attic! Best sound and access I have had in a long time and I am listening to music in my collection I haven't listened to in years.