Coping in an Age of Uncertainty

there have been numerous threads here, i know, about sacd v. dvd-a, upsampling, oversampling, etc. a number of these threads have included discussions of which, if any, new digital format will replace what we now call “redbook” cd’s. i don’t wish to rehash these discussions. rather, i’d like to hear from others how they are coping with the “age of uncertainty” in the realm of digital audio. is it better to “roll the dice” and invest in sacd or dvd a? ignore the contenders for the new and get the best possible out of redbook cd’s? buy with upgradeability firmly in mind? follow another path? i don’t post this query out of mere curiosity. i really haven’t figured out what course i should follow. i’d appreciate your giving me a hand. -kelly
cornfedboy
Since the general public is buying DVD players by the millions, DVD-A has a large potential market which gives it an edge. This is why Windows won. IBM chose Microsoft DOS as its operating system. No company purchasing manager was ever fired for buying IBM. All the other computer companies either switched or died.
no_money, there is *some* winyl being currently released that i can buy - buena wista social club, & xtc's latest, to mention a couple. & the existing winyl inventory, combined w/listening to my optimised fm, gives me plenty-o-software to play with.

if/when there are decent $400 sacd cd-players awailable, i may nab one - that's yust what i'm waitin' for - along w/software to play on it. but, what i'm really waitin' for is a one-size-fits-all player. i'm turned-off by sony's 9000es not playing dvd-a. sugarbrie's last point is well-taken, at least by me...

After contimplating what direction I was going to go regarding my digital front-end, I decided to go w/ a Wadia 860x. Not only will it decode 24/96 through it digital inputs and serve as a great digital preamplifier, through Wadia's proprietary software based design will support future upgrades (I have heard that Wadia will possibly support SACD). This, coupled with the fact that it is the best redbook cd player I have heard made my decision a lot easier since I have 1000+ cd's. Personally, I believe it is still too early to tell what formats will prevail.
I agree with Sedond's point on software. Software is the whole thing. I don't mind spending money on a new player, as long as there is something available to play on it. As a question to everyone, what percentage of the music you buy would have to be on SACD or DVD-A before you make your jump to a new player? I am kind of thinking that for me it will have to be at least 20%.
There are clearly to types of people ont this particular post. Those who want to enjoy the best sound ever: one persons said if you buy the Sony SACD you will at least get a sample SACD to play with. And those you want to best enjoy their music! I belong to this second group and therefore I really do not care about DVD or SACD or XXXXCD. I just want the best for my existing stock of music!