Continuum Caliburn - really the best TT on earth?

I have read so many good things about the Caliburn but also figured out that this table needs some care (software, o-ring, air suction etc.) To my knowledge they have improved the table over the last three years.

Is there anyone out who has experience with this table besides of audio shows -meaningly having tested the Caliburn with the Cobra and e.g. a Lyra system within a very good chain? Is there any reason not to go for a Caliburn?
thuchan
The Criterion manual is one of the best of its kind like the Copperhead manual, the arm I will mount on the Criterion. Redscouser, it seems you have experience with that table. Thanks for the advice. You mean using the four screws and moving the board a little I guess. Does it work like a flywheel? It should have some impact on the platter. Dietrich, you are right, this is a somehow dangerous job - keeping the hands not in the right position when lowering the heavy platter - uuh. As I am sitting in a train right now there is no risk at the moment...
Mr D ,,,,dinner with Norah Joans and reaching wide spread agreement with most audiophiles,agree tis a highly emotional driven hobby for some, to much maybe

Eckart, we dont need you getting hurt at this stage you have my attention, have fun!
Dear Thuchan,

I have followed this thread over the last few days and I would like to contribute, if I may, a different view point.

Unless there is more to it than what was shared in this thread, your purchase has all the hallmarks of an impulsive purchase.

None of my impulsive buys over the years led to long-term enjoyment *especially* when I compromised the *dream*.

If you had set your eyes on the Caliburn, the Criterion will not do in the longer run.

I sincerely hope that I am wrong and that you will keep enjoying the Criterion for the years to come. With apologies to everyone if my comment is out of line, but it honestly documents my 25-year long analogue journey.

Kostas
Kostas,

your comment is a reasonable one; but only if one assumes that Eckart liked the Caliburn lots more than he liked the Criterion.

again we come back to the cost/benefit-value issue.

i've heard the Caliburn and the Criterion 4 times each in different systems. i've spent more total time with the Criterion. but i've never heard them side by side. other than having them both in your own system for an extended comparison, the next best thing would be what Eckart apparently did do, compare them side by side in Oz.

he has not written any detail about his final decision making experience (at least that i have seen). so we may wonder what the tipping point(s) actually ended up being.

my guess is that the Criterion came 'close enough' at approx half the price. if he only liked the Caliburn a little more that would be a decision he is likely very happy about.

there is nothing to prevent him from tradeing up later. at least he knows the difference between them to his ears.

no regrets needed.

i say congrats and let the music flow....