Considering analog...but nervous

Well, I've been here before. Once again, I'm thinking of venturing into the Analog world, but before doing so, I wanted to pose a few questions to fellow agoners to make sure my head (ears?) are in the right place.

Some Background: My current setup consists of a Modwright Transporter, Musical Fidelity KW 500 (hybrid tube pre/SS Amp), and Focal/JM 1027be speakers. My entire current collection is digital and I have NEVER owned Vinyl before NOR have I ever heard a high-end Analog setup.

My Tastes/musical likes: I am all about soundstage and imaging. Vocal accuracy is hugely important and instrument placing (hence, imaging) are part of what I look for when listening. Genre wise, mostly rock, folk, acoustic and blues. Some jazz as well. I generally try to stick to labels that produce good-sounding material...not over-compressed garbage.

On with the questions:

1. One of the biggest things that has kept me from trying Vinyl thus far is the concern of excessive hiss and crackle/pop that vinyl is known for. Is it safe to assume that purchasing new Vinyl and played on a higher quality setup will reduce (eliminate?) the pops and crackle sounds? I have no problem purchasing exclusively new vinyl, knowing full well that the process of shopping used is what draws so many to this market...

2. If I purchase new vinyl, only play it on a decent player, and store it properly, will I still have to clean it? How expensive is a cleaning machine? Are there (reasonable), less expensive alternatives to a cleaning machine?

3. Based on my integrated (tube-pre,SS amp) and speakers, are these a good match for Vinyl? Does anyone know if the KW 500 Phono input is adequate for a good turntable? My digital system has a tendency to be on the bright side for a lot of material, but not everything. Strangly, even at 31 years old, I can still hear up to around 19Khz so I'm a bit picky about the highs...

4. How complicated is the setup of the TT? Being that I've never worked wtih it before, I'm somewhat intimidated by the "setup" requirements of the equipment. What are the core requirements/knowledge to properly setup a TT.

5. And finally, the most subjective question of all. If I had a budget of about $1,000-$1,500 for a TT, Tonearm and Cartridge, what would be a good starting place? I'd obviously be looking for used here from Agon.

I know this was a long post so thanks for hanging in and reading it all :-). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

-gh0st
fatgh0st
fatgh0st, is there anyone close to you that can help you? What would you do if you had a turntable sitting in front of you right now? If you are going to risk your money on something you know very little about, please find help beyond just posting in forums. Otherwise, you'll just swell the ranks of those who don't get it and never will. And, you'll have less money in your pocket. ;-)
Get a used Denon 47F/Denon 160. This will put your 'toe in the water' before a massive purchased would be warranted. New Vinyl is expensive, so also plan on going used. Don't invest in cleaning equipment yet, especially if it is new you are initially using.
I think that Mitch4t response is the very best I have ever read EVER!

Mitch4t :-
'Don't do it dude! Stay with digital, you will listen to a lot more music that way. Digital will continue to get better, analog now is as good as it's ever gonna get.'

I gave up on digital years ago. I had a Wadia 840 or was it a 850 and got a new laser upgrade for it etc etc....
Played it against my friends Rega P3/ Goldring 1042 turntable and honestly the Rega destroyed the Wadia in EVERY respect. No, I lie, the Wadia was easier to handle.

Really Mitch4t, if you think that analog now is as good as it's going to get, you TOTALLY under estimate audio designers and advancements in electronic signal processing.
How on earth do you think CD managed to go from SH*T in the 80's to a better version of that in the 2000s.

As for CD sales - ha ha ha. Last I heard, the majors are struggling with CD sales. I'd be surprised if the format lasts another 10 years. Vinyl on the other hand is going stronger and stronger with more and more record companies pressing new material on vinyl now than in the past 5 years.

Vinyl playback will get a lot better.

grubbie
Discovery in music and sound is an interesting thing. Music has the power to move us in unsuspected ways. Many on this forum (myself included) feel that a decent analog setup can bring certain qualities of musical expressiveness that elude even the best digital sources.

So, what is it that makes you (OP) curious about vinyl? Could it be that you feel that you are missing something with the sound of your current digital setup? Something is not quite satisfying? Only your own experience with the analog medium will let you determine wether the musical rewards of playing vinyl are worth the "hassles". I believe that you will find that as you live with a well setup DECENT analag setup, you will find that the rewards found in good recordings on vinyl will let you forget and ignore the imperfections. Albert is correct, ticks and pops can be elimined almost entirely; but that will probably take more money than $1500, as the quality of the gear is key. But for $1500 you can definitely put together a rig that will CLEARLY let you know what all the buzz is about. If you choose well, there is no reason that if you decide that vinyl is not for you, you would not be able to get all or most of your money back. There are so many quality vinyl reissues available that getting good pressings will not be a problem. And I would be surprised if you don't find that recordings in your cd collection that you thought you knew well, when played on vinyl all of a sudden sound a little more exciting; the grooves (no pun intended) a little deeper, and the soundstaging which you love so much more dimensional and organic, instead of airless and synthesized. You will probably find yourself listening more.

You are obviously very curious about it, go for it! Don't go nuts at first. Keep remembering that if you are smart about it you will lose very little financial investment. And even if you lose a little bit of money in the process, think about the education that you will gain. Remember, only you can decide wether it's worth it. Is it possible that so many vinyl fans are deluding themselves about it's merits? Some here would say yes, but I think it's unlikely. Good luck, and remember what a great source of info and advise this forum is.