Conrad-Johnson PF-R Preamp Review Summary?

Can someone please summarize the Stereophile review for the CJ PF-R Preamp?

Stereophile Magazine October 1996: Conrad-Johnson PF-R Review page.247. I do not have this Stereophile issue. Thanks!
abecollins

Showing 1 response by sampsonm123

Perhaps I am a little late to this discussion, but here goes.  I am the type of person who prizes unique and clear (transparent) sounding audio sound.  Previously, I owned a current Parasound preamp and amp, which were fine sounding components, but perhaps not that delicate - and slightly harsh at higher volumes.  However, I researched a bit an decided to go the route of "vintage" solid state.  I prefer a bit crisper sound than tube technology so the CJ PFR was right in my "sweet spot".  I paired this preamp with a Yamaha MX-1 amp, which was in excellent condition from Japan.  The PFR had aging parts issues, which took my audio tech expert (I live in Taipei, where there is a great appreciation for high-end audio) about two months to straighten out.  He replaced old capacitors, found SMD technology to replace obsolete semiconductors, replaced relays, and internal connectors.  (I was on pins-and-needles at the time - - - Did I make a poor purchase?  There is a reason people here address him as "Master"!)  I have Usher Mini-Dancer II speakers, which I think are highly underrated speakers, and a Marantz CD player.  I have to say that the sound is powerful and transparent, and will properly exhibit the soundstage, depth, and clarity for all types of music (and I have over 10k CDs). I am quite pleased with the sound, and friends are amazed!