Computer output to DAC, which route?

I have disbanded my main system because I am using my computer system more and more. I am going to purchase an outboard DAC for my computer, but I want to know something:
My computer comes equipped with COAX and TOSLINK outputs on the motherboard. Should I use one of those or use a DAC with a USB connection? WHat are the pluses and minuses of each way if any? I am using typical Altec Lansing speakers (good for what they are) but will probably move up to active Dynaudio monitors in the future. All music is sourced from itunes in either AAC or apple lossless formats.

Thanks in advance!
phoenix469
If you really want to hear PC Audio at it's best, go firewire. I just went to a firewire to spdif converter (M Audio Firewire Solo) and just couldn't believe how good it sounds. There's just no way the power supply in a PC can provide stable, clean power to a soundcard. I was thinking of going USB but thought best to just go with the fire wire.

Enjoy your rig.

Cerrot,

Several USB DACs have their own independent power supply. For example, the Ultra Fi iRoc asych DAC takes care of the power supply "problem" you "identify" and its own power supply.

On the other hand,many serious technical and audio-experience problems are associated with spdif interfaces.

Happy listening!

I tend to agree with the external USB DAC as the route to quality. Howerver, there is a new product soon to be released that has some potential. Check out the Asus HDAV1.3 audio card.
depends on the budget,
depends on your ear/brain, if it likes more color sound or grey sound.
too many variables.
like jitter.
wordclock, the op-amps in the DAC., the circuit design in the DAC.
wordclock & s/pdif cable velosity propagation, and capacitance.

toslink vs. s/pdif,?

depends on the s/pdif cable used.
if its a good cable will have way lower jitter than toslink/adat/madi.
but if its a bad cable, will have lost data.
s/pdif with a verry nice cable will sound more detailed., less muddy, more transparent,
but that also depends on the wordclock you have also.
0.03ppb, <1ppm, 5ppm, 25ppm, 50ppm like alesis ai-2
, digital DDS or PLL, TTL, Crystal, TCXO, OCXO, etc..
some wordclocks allow to reclock, and resample. like drawmer m-clock, antelope DA, etc..

some DACs have jitter elimination mechanisms,
but none are better than a rubidium atomic clock.
if you plan to upgrade to an atomic clock, try to avoid DACs with a jitter removal mechanism that cant be turned off. "Wide lock"

some DACs have fixed SRC, and SRC creates distortions.
http://src.infinitewave.ca/
make shure you like the distortions.

3daudioinc c0m has a nice ADCD double cd comparing ADCs, but usually ADC has same sound as DACs, if done properly
becouse has the same analog circuit design, and same wordclock.

reb box rb-adda 96k sounds really nice to me,
lavry gold the best ive heard.
i dont like prism AD/-DA-2
i like black lion modifications on the digi002r

etc...etc...
go USB with quality USB dac. My personal opinion prefer NOS dac. I am using mac. I now prefer mac and USB dac to my Cyrus cdp 8x. Not to mention the trouble of changing CDs. Just few click away w remote(iPhone). Also go with wav. I found them better than aif though aif support artwork with itune while wav not.
Happy listening