Comparison Cary 306, Wadia 581, EMM Labs CDSA

Hi all,

it's time to get a new (used) CD / SACD player and I reduced the possibilities to the following 3 candidates:
Cary SACD 306 (PRO)
Wadia 581 (SE)
EMM Labs CDSA (SE)
(Volume control and/or digital inputs NOT a requirement but SACD playback a MUST)
Had anyone the possibility to compare these players? I think they are (used) in more or less the same price range and I've not the possibility to listen to all of them so I am really curious and can't wait to hear your opinions.
Listen a lot to (female) voices (Jazz, Rock, Singer/Songwriter), Classic and also Rock and Electronic.

Thanks a lot
Peter
bauerp

Showing 11 responses by zieman

Peter, I hope you are just starting to look around. You won't see a 306 Pro used for some time. Ditto a 581 SE. There is no shortage of EMM stuff and for very good reason... I talked to Mr Had at CES, my advice is a late model 306. Again, be careful to make sure it is the latest version. Great machine, input is nice, as is HDCD decoding. I just bought a Krell 505 and it smokes them all. Seen any used ones? Get it? Z.
Megan, Might wanna recheck your stats. Consumer response has been so bad for the CDSA that EMM will make ANYBODY a dealer, even you. Just to turn a unit. Let's forget about the recall of the ENTIRE first batch. Mr EMM is a SOTA guy, not too good at the price point thing. Yet. Tell me again how many Cary Pros you've seen listed? I can see by your feedback that you have tried them all! Keep your Civic and please stay out of the deep end. Z.
Rhyno, If you think you are tight with Shahin, ask him, point blank. I did, over dinner at CES. It is no secret. Both the reliability issue as well as the dealer issue. EMM ads on this home page speak volumes. One phone call does the rest. That is why he was hired! Every player mentioned has had teething problems. We all know about the SACD Standard as well. Remember those being "dumped" six months ago? The original question was about a used player. I stand behind my advice. My "adgenda" has been unearthed! I have a bit of trouble with you comparing redbook, (861SE) when again the original request was for advice on SACD players. No, the 861 can't touch the CDSA on SACD!
The latest version? How many is that now? When will they release the "right" version? I might suggest you take the dCS piece home and do a proper ABA, it DESTROYS every "version" of the CDSA I have heard. This thing runs with the very best hand made stuff Ed builds. Z
And this "latest" version was needed because... I guess what you are saying, is that you totally agree with me and my advice to run not walk from original CDSAs. As well as all the other "improved" versions, until they get it right. Right? In the meantime, I will take you up on your invite. Thanks! Please make sure the thing works before I arrive! This should be in May/June, in time for you to install the "latest-latest-latest-latest" version! Z.
Bud, Ed designs and builds some gear that is State Of The Art. He has defined SOTA. I mention this in one or more of my responses. This unit has not been one of them. I am not alone here, witness other responses. What the heck is an indirect competitor anyway? I would love to carry this piece if/when it runs. There is a lot of competition at this price point. My "motivation" is the same as my "agenda". If you have in fact been following, I offered advice to a member of a community I care about. From first hand knowledge/experience.

Rhyno, You are a bit naive to think EMM would voluntarily offer to folks "please don't buy now, we're not ready". "OOPS" is not a word mfgrs use. The same goes for folks who just dropped ten large and are unable to listen to music. Only if the mfgr. did not work with them would they be likely to share their misfortune.

Palmetto, I will be visiting you. Your attitude is very mature and professional. There are some things we could talk about. Thanks again for the invite. Z.
Bauerp, Before this thread got so far off track, I was going to offer something I find myself saying more and more often. If you have not heard Krell lately, you have not heard Krell. I can't think of a brand that has evolved more. Your willingness to accept that "perhaps their sound has changed over the years" puts you at the head of the class. Good luck in your search. Z.
Dear T, Might wanna read the threads on the first gen 306 SACD player. I too really like this company. Dennis Had is the real deal. I think they bit the bullet pretty good on these first units that all failed. The price then went up 1500 to pay for it. Krell is using parts from their 10,000 SACD player to fix ($4000) SACD Standards. Also pretty cool. NO price increase... Z.
Megan, Then you don't own an original, ALL of which were recalled. You don't own a version two either. You may be lucky, that's all. Yeah, in less than a year we've seen four iterations of this player? Lets see how the new drive works. They had to give up on the original, it just would not run. There were other problems as well, but we can save that for another forum. Yes, they have been great about fixing it. NO, THEY WILL NEVER ADMIT IT. Are you serious? Nobody ever said their QC was lacking, as ALL the mfgrs mentioned have had SACD player problems. I am a Krell owner and I am the first to admit the problems persist. Cary seems to be the only one with a solution, so far. I challenged another poster who claimed friendship with Mr Al Rashid to "put it to him piont blank". To date, SILENCE from this member. High end audio is not required as auto mfgrs to broadcast recalls, so they do as auto mfgrs did before they were forced to come clean. They "continually strive for perfection" "R&D never sleeps" Yeah right! Hey dude, I got a bridge I want to sell you! Z.
Rhyno, Just go back and read my contrbutions to this thread. Please. Call the folks at MD, they might have the serials for all the units in the first batch on the RA. You need to be very careful who you BS in these forums, you never know who might be reading them. You brag about your relationship with Shahin, I KNEW you had none, so I called you on the carpet. Now you come clean... Thank You. I can understand you not wanting to accept the truth about something you spent so much money on, too bad, it is what it is... I TRULY hope it does not stay that way...Z.
Rhyno, I know you didn't re-read the entire thread this quickly. Please do. S L O W L Y. And, as many times as you need. I am alone on this issue? Please. I told you where you might obtain serials. Scared? Of the truth? Didn't happen to see the last auction of a CDSA did you? ZERO bidders. With an opener at dealer... Still think I am the only one with knowledge you are without? I'm willing to bet that happens alot. Read, don't write. Listen, don't talk. Then read some more. There is a reason you have two eyes and two ears, yet only one mouth... Try to have more coming in than going out, and eventually something worthwhile will come out! Please get back to me after you have actually read this thread. I will help you with any of the big words. I promise. Z