Compare: Salk Sound, Silverline, Tyler, Zu

Reading this forum, I have noticed that speakers from Salk Sound, Silverline, Tyler, and Zu have quite a following. Many audiophiles regard one of these as much better than better-known or advertised brands.

Surprisingly, then, I don't see many attempts to compare them among themselves.

So I would like to invite such an effort: Please compare Salk Sound, Silverline, Tyler, and Zu among themselves (and, for those who have the spirit, also with the British classics now exemplified by ATC, Harbeth, Proac).

I would be interested not only in your listening experience, but also "theoretical thoughts" about design, drivers used, etc.

[I do not want this thread to focus on my system, but if you wish to additionally comment about what may be suitable for me, here it is: Room size 15'x20'. Music: Classical, from solo voice to piano to large orchestral. Listening levels: daytime normal, nights low (city apartment). Clearance from rear wall: about 12-18 inches. Amp 60 w/ch ss. Don't want to to be glued to one sweet spot. WAF is liberal, most speakers with a wood veneer would be accetable.]
aktchi

Showing 1 response by ton1313

Guys,

After numerous conversations about the paint vs. veneers with Adam at Zu, Here is the summary.

Zu has a design goal of offering the most bang for the buck at given price points. Som exotic veneers can add too much to the price and move the product out of the targeted price range. On a side note, if they are not as skilled with working with veneers, they would have to hire an expert to provide the quality finish that the product deserves.

Their paint is quite fine, and looks great.