Classical Music Review

We already have an experimental "Jazz Review" thread. These review threads can serve to compile our own small catalogue: I will try to do this for classical, if the thread picks up (help is welcome!).

In order to simplify reading & compiling, I propose some ground rules for posting that can be fine-tuned as we go along (or abandoned, if we feel restricted). I'm borrowing from Abstract's Jazz thread and modifying accordingly:

*Please change the sub title to read: {Composer}, {work
title};
*CONTINUE onto the 1st line: {main performer(s),i.e.
soloist/conductor/orchestra abbreviated},
{performance /sonic rating}.

This way, readers won't have to expand unless interested in the specific piece.

*Pls keep each post to the music stated in the subtitle. If
you are answering another post, again, pls keep the
musical reference in the subtitle... alternatively, do pls
use different posts for different pieces.

*Performance and sonic ratings on a 1 - 10 scale. In the
body write a short review and at the end put in all album
information (catalog number, label, etc.) so that other A-
goners can easily find it for purchase.

As "charity starts @ home": I will post some of my favourite perf's of Beethoven (piano concerti, violin) this W/E.

Thank you all in advance!
gregm

Showing 3 responses by yu11375

Beethoven, Piano Sonata 30-32, Rudolf Serkin, 10/10

Aged Serkin provided totally different perspective toward Beethoven's last three piano sonatas.

Live recording was released by Deutsche Grammophon, LD is also available.
9/9

The op. 15 itself is unique among Brahms's compositions. For me, it is a piece that Brahms reveal his feeling so explicitly without any hesitation comparing with over-cautious symphony No.1 (op. 68), well-structured double concerto (op. 102) and retro-perspective clarinet quintet (op. 115).

Passion is definitely the key for this work. Jochum seldom revealed his passion frankly; it stays the same in this recording. But during his over-60-year conductor tenure, he cited this performance by his late-age recollection. It could be not exciting but has its position in both performers careers.

Brahms 1st Piano Concerto, Gilels / Jochum / BPO,9/9

The op. 15 itself is unique among Brahms's compositions. For me, it is a piece that Brahms reveal his feeling so explicitly without any hesitation comparing with over-cautious symphony No.1 (op. 68), well-structured double concerto (op. 102) and retro-perspective clarinet quintet (op.115).

Passion is definitely the key for this work. Jochum seldom revealed his passion frankly; it stays the same in this recording. But during his over-60-year conductor tenure, he cited this performance by his late-age recollection. It could be not exciting but has its position in both performers careers.