Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
London CS 6533.  Sonata for Two Pianos and Variations for Two Pianos on a Theme of Beethoven.  Bracha Eden and Alexander Tamir.
This is a must for piano enthusiasts as it was performed on a Pleyel double piano.  This very rare instrument was actually two grand pianos in one case with one reflective lid.  The remarkable thing is how well articulated the recording is.  You can tell just which performer is playing just what notes.  And of course the piano(s) match in sound exactly.
@schubert      Len thanks to you I have been listening to Firkusni all afternoon , Idagio has quite a treasure trove of his recordings. I really liked On an Overgrown Path so thanks for reminding me about him. Have a good weekend.
Ivan Moravec
His Chopin Nocturnes are recognized as best ever.
Moravec was already well known in Czechoslovakia when he was "discovered" by Alan Silver, who ran Connoisseur Records.Alan recorded him playing Chopin, and helped him get his first engagements in USA.  Alan was incredibly skilled at making recordings, although what he actually did was considerably simpler than big time producer/directors.
I knew Alan in Berkeley in 1967, nice man.