Classic preamp for Plinius SA-102: need advise

I have the newest (and the best, for me) Plinius power amp. The SA-102. It is an expensive amp so my budjet for a preamp is therefore small (1000-2000 US$). BUT, reading some commnents on old classic preamps I found out that I may
get a used preamp which is as good or even better than the ones that are manufactured today.

Could you please give me a hand on this? Here it goes:

1. I do not have a turntable (so phono is not an issue).
2. The Plinius has lots of punch, impact and an extremely open sound. So I am looking for a tube preamp with a liquid (but not too much coloured, of course), soft highs and good bass, plus with LOTS of air.

I thought that maybe an older Audio Research (the SP-10 seems to be bad for CD; maybe the LS-5?) or a nice Jadis might be good mates for my Plinius. What would you advise me (brand and models)?

Tejo
tejo5a2c

Showing 2 responses by marakanetz

Agree with tube options above.
You can also spread yourself over passive preamps that can realy integrate good with Plinius 102.
It means that there is no output transformer or capacitor that separates DC-component out of the signal.
There are two devices that separate DC off the signal: transformer and capacitor.

Preamps can also be as SA102 direct-coupled.

The risk of having DC is high in all direct-coupled output stages whether it's preamp or amp and in case with Plinius you can only pray for its unsinkable performance that will only depend on quality of preamp. So far I heard of no failures whatsoever happend with Plinius gear in general but some of preamps do have a DC-component in its normal operation that you should be aware of and check DC-voltage with voltmeter if any at the output with preamp on and volume control at minimum or mute.

The largest danger of DC when it's present at the speaker since the voice coil will work as water-boiler and increase its temperature and than burn even taking away diffusor.