CJ Preamp help please

I am seriously contemplating an upgrade on my preamp which is currently a cj pv10 to either a premier 14 or premier 17. One issue is I can't audition a 14 in my system since it is discontinued. Also, I've heard the 17 isn't the typical cj sound, which concerns me because I like that.. I would mate it with Meridian fronted, Classe, Thiel, and Kimber kctg ic's. Any advice or personal experience would be greatly appreciated...
pops

Showing 1 response by larryg321

I upgraded from a PV12A to the Premier17LS about 6 months ago. 17 has a slightly "leaner" sound for a C-J (or any)tube pre but incredibly smooth, transparent and musical. Much more so than the 12a and much more detailed, airy and extended on top without being bright. The 12a sounded thick and bloated, by comparison through the upper bass to lower mids. Incredibly taut fast and detailed now without losing "slam" just bloat. An outstanding preamp, I LOVE it and would highly recommend it for any music lover. Not really a typical "audiophile" preamp per se. Doesn't overtly shine in any one area in other words. For example many people would say a particular preamp has the best stage, or slam or top end or bottom end or transparency etc. I truly don't notice those things so much now, or even when I first got it for that matter, I'm just drawn into the music SO much more that I sit and listen to entire discs through now whereas I didn't before because "someting" with prior pre amps made me say 'this could be better, that could be better' etc. So I guess that's the highest compliment I would give it is it's so well balanced I just enjoy the music and have no desire to change it.