CIA D200's Vs. Odyssey Stratos Extreme Monos ?

I have heard a great deal about the Channel Island amps. I have the Odyssey Extreme Monos paired with the Modwright SWL 9.0 SE. Wondering if anyone can tell me if they prefer the CIA D200 or D100's over the Odyssey's. I listen to mostly classic rock, all kinds of jazz, and female vocals.

thanks,
pete_camp

Showing 2 responses by jamnperry

While I can't comment on the Odyssey's, I can attempt to at least inject a shred of useful info into this thread.
The Modwright and CIA 200's are really nice together as you've heard. I think they really shine on jazz and vocals, really revealing nuances in the recordings like I've never heard before. Clarity, and separation of instruments outstanding. Frequency extremes all where they should be.
The only criticism I have is very subjective. It does at times sound a bit clinical. It could be the breaking in period. I probably am approaching 150 hrs. I think it sounds slightly warmer through balanced power.
While they lack the warmth my McCormack DNA Gold had, they completely outclassed it in transparency. While I may have previously preferred warm and tube like, I'm leaning more towards revealing qualities in an amp. These CIA 200's are becoming less clinical as I adjust to their presentation and my preconceived notions of what is musical.
The Modwright was paired with the McCormack. Yes, the Modwright deserves a lot of credit. It was obviously more refined and detailed than the CJ 17LS it replaced. The McCormack wasn't able to present what the Modwright was capable of, at least to the same degree as the CIA 200's. Not that the McCormack wasn't an excellent amp in it's own right. There's just no way it could reveal what the CIA's did.
You're right that there are so many variables. Without getting too cerebral, the other factor was Vandersteen 3 Sigs. Since they are characterised as 'warm' and 'forgiving', in my opinion they match very well with more revealing, transparent amps and pre's. This is what I'm discovering. It's very non fatiguing, and I'm hearing layers in the recordings and subtle details for the first time. I can only compare it to going from standard definition to HDTV. Doubt if I can go back to a veiled existence.