Cheap Speaker "Isolation" Solution for 300 lb. Speaker

Good Afternoon All,

I am looking for advice on a cheap and simple isolation solution for large, heavy (325 lb. each) floorstanding speakers. 

I've read much advice on granite or marble slabs, multiple layers of cork, springs, etc; while this has been helpful, it is neither a cheap or simple solution. 

Ultimately, I am looking to protect my wood floor from damage these very heavy speakers might do, as well as decouple the speaker from the floor in order to reduce bass resonance (I am in an apartment complex and worry about noise complaints). I've looked into sorbothane pads, but they never seem to be able to hold this much weight.

Thanks!
scorndefeat

Showing 6 responses by scorndefeat

wspohn,

That's a good suggestion. I've see a lot of debate regarding the spikes + discs combination and whether it couples the speaker to the floor or decouples it; I can't say I know enough to  confirm it either way, but I certainly could use help with positioning such large speakers and it sounds like wheels would do the trick. Thank you.
I agree with you, Geoff; beyond the complexity of building such a support for such large speakers, I'd have fears over their stability. 

The washing machine anti-vibration pads seem like a genius idea. They sure would be able to hold the weight, and while I'm not entirely sure what their impact on the sound will be, it's worth a try at the cheap price!
Thanks all for the suggestions thus far. Herbie's products seem to be sensible thus far, the gliders adding a nice mobility element to it all. 

The Gaia Titans look like a solution, as well....alas, I'm not quite at the level where I can spend $2,500 on isolation feet.

Speaking back to sorbothane, I found these:

https://www.amazon.com/Isolate-Sorbothane-Vibration-Isolation-Circular/dp/B0042U8P9C/ref=mp_s_a_1_12...

Looks like these can handle the weight. Anybody have experience with them?

Thanks!
alucard19, the price is certainly right on those pads! For that price, can't hurt to try em. Not high on the physical appeal value, but function is function. 

The Gaia line of isolators looks great but I just cannot justify spending that kind of money for isolation feet, regardless of how effective they are. I just don't have the budget for it. 

The Teo Audio diamond isolators don't exactly look robust, but the description certainly fits the bill, as I absolutely need the bass dampening considering my apartment situation. The site doesn't describe much though, I can't find info on the max load weight per pad or the price on these. 

What would the price point be for a 12-pack of the Teo Audio diamond dampers?

Jakesnak, the hockey puck idea is believable; I played hockey and certainly know how resilient that 6 oz of vulcanized rubber can be! As you own the Gaia's, is it indeed rubber sandwiched in there that's creating the positive isolation effect with the Gaia's?
I'm going to have to disagree with the assertion that one must spend an inordinate amount of money in order to achieve some isolation benefit. It certainly doesn't cost IsoAcoustics $1,000+ to make isolation feet and neither should it have to for us. Their products are attractive and I'm sure certainly beneficial, but if I can get 95% of the effect for 5% of the cost, I'm going to take that risk. Even in high-end systems where money is being parted with quite liberally, there are limits lol