CD Sound ; Esoteric x-03 versus Oppo 105

For CD sound; any difference?
ptss

Showing 4 responses by zephyr24069

I own an Oppo 105D and have owned Esoteric DV50S, UX1-Limited, P03U/D03 and currently own the P02/D02. I've also listened extensively to the K01, K03, and X03 and UX3 models along the way. Summary of my thoughts;

SACD: no contest, no matter whether you go back to the DV50S or other more recent units, Esoteric wins

RBCD: IMHO, I prefer the Esoteric RBCD in more recent units, particularly UX3, UX1 and into the K and P/D units

All of the above using XLR balanced outputs; the best option for Eso IMHO....

10 year old tech/design by a SOTA vendor versus Oppo: does not matter, think about the fact that Esoteric engineered for a more no holds barred approach in each case at a higher price point. Oppo is a fine unit with a different objective and different price/parts/design philosophy. Also the post by Georgelofi hits the question of DAC parts choice squarely on the head....

Oppo105D: Amazing video quality all the way up to UHD-4K; this is why I own it....not for audio playback. Only player I've seen whose video beats my prior P03U. (That video section bested all "newer and better" players, even BluRay until the Oppo 105D came out), again all IMHO.

If you value quality audio playback, look at UX3, X03, UX1Ltd if you can find one or better yet, save for a used K01.

Enjoy the music and good luck to you!
Jafant: You've got the same question essentially going on 3 current threads....:-)

The X03 is less analytical and much more musical than the DV50S (I never heard the SA60) for both CD and SACD. The X01 (having the most DACs per side of the circuit) is even more so. I owned the UX-1Ltd as I needed video and it had 1/2 the number of DAC chips per side as the X01. Both were great units but the X01 was even more full bodied and musical. My advice, if you can get an X01, grab it in lieu of the X03 only because the X01 is even better. You won't go wrong however if availability or price dictate an X03.
Ptss: No worries, I understand; write me on Audiogon mail if you wish to talk further on this subject either phone or email.
PTSS...thank for the compliment....it plays music beautifully which is why it exists the way it does. I'm a music lover,...that much is certain. Have a great day!