Case of the dissapearing Bass

This might sound odd but....

My bass is gone, when i say gone i mean really really gone. I moved my speakers around the room to try to take some of the drone out of the bass. ( moved the speakers further off the wall etc)After having a play around I managed to tidy up the drone a little too well. Now i have no bass.

I have a pair of B&W 802d's, The woofers are popping away like mad im really giving the speakers a workout and Ive totally killed the nice bass slam I had before now to the stage where its non exitent unless I get behind the speakers.

I would have thought the maybe they're out of phase but i havent changed the leads or anything so i dont see how that can be the case.

Im at a bit of a loss. I dont know what to do to get my bass back. Ive even pushed the speakers back closer to the wall than I had them before to no avail.

Any thoughts?
ellrotts

Showing 3 responses by vinylmad814

yeah speaker performance just does not disappear. The 802 d's obviously have enough performance specifications to provide a good solid bass floor since I have the lower sibling, the 804 d's which supply more than enough bass for my somewhat small room. One thing, make sure you connected your speakers in phase. I just re hooked my speakers up out of phase by accident and found that you lose all focus and tonality. And yes, indeed trial and error. Speaker positioning and also are the speakers pointing forward at an upward angle? Not only do you lose some focus the highs can be affected by this especially if you are at a somewhat close proximation to the speakers. Were your speakers sitting atop a wood floor as opposed to much more solid concrete floor? Look at the whole listening environment and try to pinpoint what might affect the overall sonics of the room.
hmmm...whether you feel your amps are not up for the task is one thing but i cannot understand why you have absolutley no bass at all. I can see a change in the overall sonics when you change the speaker position but it usually is not as drastic as you have described. Having said that the 802's do need some extra power to drive them effectively. Have you tried to put them back to its original spot just to make sure something has not gone faulty with your components?
Whats your budget for new amps? I like the Bryston with the B&W product. I use it and so do alot of fellow audiophilliacs in my area.
Yeah Bryston in the past has been very bright almost too bright with past models. The Newer SST 2 seems to have to my ears anyhow , have remedied that with a much more even/full sound and from what I understand very favourable to many auido equipment reviewers. And BTW, your Rotels are quite good, so I agree with Zd542, nothing to be ashamed of and if these amps have been pleasing to you in the past, I would tweak around your room til the cows come home.