Cary 805 vs v12

I really enjoy my janszen speakers and have powered them with six PAC el34 triodes for almost a year. I tried a mcintosh mc275 for a time, but found I prefer the el34 to the kt tube family. I was considering finding a used v12 with the ultralinear switch to get more out of my system. But, then I thought, " hmm...I wonder what the 805ae would sound like?"

Anyone care to compare the 805ae to the six pacs to the v12? I lean towards warm and full bodied sound and do not care for the hyper detailed krell sound.

System:
Emotive Sira pre
Sony hapz1es
Svs stereo subs
Six PAC mono blocks
Janszen za2.1
sgtbrad

Showing 3 responses by mikirob

I have not owned the Cary 805 but I have listened to it a number of times for many hours in different venues both business and private homes. I do own the superb Cary V12 which does have the warm, full sound you like. Before purchasing the V12 I had a similar dilemma such as you stated. Ultimately my decision was to go with the V12. Save the money and upgrade other aspects of your system, or buy more music; the difference between the two amps is not far apart with regard to how it sounds. The V12 has plenty of power and with the right speakers you won't need it. The V12 is a vastly underrated great amp, thanks, Dennis Had. If I remember correctly, in the owner Manuel it states it is a smaller 805. Also, better than the Six Packs. Best, Rob
I bought my v12 from John Rutan at Audio Connection. Spoke with Dennis Had many times about these various units many times. The best advice you gave was to talk to John Rutan, one of the good guys in Audio. Same for Kevin Deal with whom I've a lot of experience.

SgtBrad, I guess you have heard a lot of hear-say, but didn't really want to hear from people who actually owned the product.

Nrenter, nice to see you upgraded from lamp cord to Ayre. Nice quantum leap. Best, Rob
Bccowen, Lissnr, Pbnaudio,
Great comments all. Pbnaudio, great visiting your shop a long, long time ago, I forgot what I bought??? For the OP, I also went for KT66s after discussing with Had and Rutan my tastes in listening at the time. Very pleased. I still own the V12, never a problem, except Ruby tubes failing. Currently running them with NOS Reflector 6n3ce (6L6) or Shuguang Black Treasure 6CA7 (EL34). I love this amp in Triode with efficient 8 ohm speakers. Best, Rob