Cary 805 C

ANYBODY DO THE UPGRADE FROM "C" TO THE LATEST EDITION..
ANY DIFFERENCE IN SOUND? IS IT WORTH IT?
P.S. WHAT SPEAKERS DO YOU USE WITH THESE AMPS?
hifi1970

Showing 2 responses by tomryan

Can't say I've heard the new version but did hear the "C" on a number of different speakers. The amp makes great music but can tend to the "soft" side. They put out 50wts which is enough to power most speakers, but I've heard them with Proac Response 2s (not 2.5s) and the overall sound was just too soft and undynamic. I would try the JM Lab Electra series which is about 90db and is a bit peaky in the high end and forward sounding but in a musical way, if you know what I mean. Might mate very well with the 805s. Look for a very well designed, neutral speaker that could sound forward or overly detailed with the wrong amp. I'd look for something with high freq. extension, good clarity and transparency, and quality parts, etc. Look for a stable, non-threatening impedance curve, also. Wildy swinging impendances can give this amp fits. The J. P. Reynaud speakers are supposed to be excellent and (I've heard the Twins) have the qualities mentioned above. The Reynaud Twins were very musical, however. Good luck, this is a great amp.
I've not heard Merlins for maybe 10 yrs but I have read they have the qualities I mentioned. The 805s are great amps, I think you have a wide variety of choices. Too bad they're not easy to carry around from store to store!