Can the Sennheiser HD650 do BIG SCALE classical???

Hello Audiogoners,

I have the Senn HD650 (equinox cable) that I use with various high-end sources (analog and digital) and an MG Head DT amplifier. I love them. They make rock music rock, jazz swing, folk and chamber are wonderful and intimate, they are never bright, and are very comfortable.

However, big scale classical does not work for me. They have for me a bit of the "car stereo" syndrome, where the big scale dynamics blow me out, and just are not fun to listen to. The setup that I have now is not in control of large scale classical, and cannot handle big dynamic swings with confidence.

My question is this: Are these headphones capable of doing big scale classical with all the macro-dynamics well? I don't want to be reaching for the volume knob whenever a forte comes in. It's not that they sound bright or edgy, just not in control of the music. Really the only thing that I can think of optimizing for this setup is the amplifier. Would upgrading to a different amplifier enable these headphones to shine on large scale classical? If so - what amplifiers have you used to successful reproduce very macro-dynamic heavy large scale classical?

Thanks,
Todd
goatwuss

Showing 5 responses by goatwuss

Thanks for the posts

I am familliar with head-fi, it is generally a younger crowd over there, and orchestra music is not the common kind of music that people listen to over there from my experience.

Yes, I have an upgraded cable, the equinox cable as I mentioned in my post.

The MG Head I have is the original version that is not OTL
Swampwalker - My question is this-

Will upgrading to a superior amp, (ie Singlepower or whatever), make my headphone setup excel at big orchestral classical?

In other words, I'm not looking for a little more robustness, a little more freq response, a little more micro-detail... What I'm trying to find out is if switching to a superior head-amp will be a "game-changing" shift in terms of big-scale dynamic control of classical music.

Thanks!
Swamp - Thanks for the post!

Boston area here. Where in NE US are you? I've always wanted to hear a pair of merlins too... ( : I'm also a Supratek owner, btw.
Rob - Frankly I'm not that into Grados for comfort alone, they are just disqualified as I don't find them comfortable.

I am looking into the K1Ks however. They look interesting. Given that I'd be willing to spend a grand or so on an amp for the senns, it probably makes sense to also consider the K1K along with a nice, cheap tube amp (norh?) for pretty much the same amount of dough.
Swamp - I read your post again and now see that mention of the K1K - I must have missed it... heh interesting

So You wouldn't recommend a relatively inexpensive low power amp? Maybe something like a Lamm ML2? Audio Note Ongaku?

Ha! I think starting with a relatively modest low powered EL34 or other amp would be ok. The problems at least wouldn't be brightness/harshness/dryness. Granted, the whole point of the pursuit is for macro-dynamic control, so I wouldn't want to be throwing that off the boat... but if relative to the Senn650 the K1K with a modest amp is in another league (sorry about the A-phile cliche), then I would be quite happy. I'm sure there are plenty of sub $1000 amps that wouldn't butcher the job too badly. I'd either be using my supratek or my EE Minimax as a pre, and both of those are quite transparent and good sounding, so all I'd need is the power-amp section. I'd be interested to hear what they'd sound like with my plinius 102 in class A... Would it damage them to hook them up to serious 100WPC+ amps just for the fun of it?

Anyway - Your entourage of gear sounds very compelling for a potential drop-by. Do you have the merlins set up too? If so, do you have a photo of the room/setup?