Can Magnepan survive Wendell Diller?

I bought my first set of Magnepans in 1976, and I currently have a pair of 1.7i's.

It is difficult for me to upgrade to the 3.7i's because their are so many things that the company can do to improve their product that they simply won't offer; upgraded crossover components, a solid wood/rigid frames and better stands are examples.

Other companies are now doing this, but Magnepan always says Wendell doesn't think that is a good idea.

Can a man who suggests using lamp cord for his speaker line really have that much control over an otherwise unique technological approach to speaker design? I must be missing something obvious when a product is hand assembled in MN and any of these upgrades would, in my mind, warrant factory upgrades. Who wouldn't spend an extra $1k for a 1.7i with a hardwood frame and an upgraded x-over? Adding a ribbon tweeter to the 1.7i would warrant an additional $1k, still bringing them in $2k under the 3.7i.

Is it common for one person to hold an entire company back in high end audio? 
128x128william53b

Showing 1 response by tom8999

William53b - Thank you for this thread. I have enjoyed all of the comments - I have been a Maggie owner since 1982, and have gone thru  the MG11s, 1.6qrs, and now own a set of 1.7is with a DWM base panel. I got my 1.6qrs modded by Peter Gunn - he puts the panels into a custom wood frame for you (mine are ambrosia maple with zebra wood trim. I then added the Audiokenesis SWARM subwoofer system to my modded 1.6s. Peter Gunn puts in his own high quality crossover network. The midrange and high end on my modded 1.6a is much better than my 1.7is. Vocals are amazing. I use the modded system in my Mancave and also run movies Thur the system - the subs do a great job with most movies soundtracks and I do not overstress the 1.6 panels trying to fill the room with strong base.

The only way I got my DWM panel to really work well with my 1.7is was to biamp it. Running it as Maggie  suggests in parallel with the 1.7s overheated my Krell integrated amp( Krell K300i). Once I biamped my system I got more bass into the room to where I am happy with this system.

per Peter Gunn - the change in manufacturing of the 1.6 panel (using copper wire for the midrange and bass and foil for the quasi ribbon tweeter) and the 1.7is (using all foil for the bass, midrange and tweeter) is a major limiting factor on the 1.7 design. After living with my two systems now - I agree with him.

. So I agree the Magnepan design can be improved - people are doing it.

This is the beauty of our hobby - for my home - for my budget - my two systems ‘knock it out of the park’ - if you are ever near Greenville SC come by for a listen!