Can anyone help me start building my own poweramp?

Hello out there!

Can anyone help me start building my own poweramp? This is the first time I ever try this, so just a simple construction. The amp is going to work together with my Dynaudio Audience 52SE in 4 ohms. I am not a big tubefan, so I would be happy if it could be solidstate.

Kenneth P, Denmark
audioangel
To Dpac996:

I think I will buy the book you are taking about, and learn a little bit about it, because I dont have any big electronic experiences. But when I start, I think I will need a diagram, because I dont know how everything shall be placed. But if I got a diagram, couldnt I then redesign a little bit at it, so I slowly could get a feeling for it.
If you think this is a good idea, can you then recommend any amplifier-diagrams?

Kenneth P, Denmark
Kenneth P from Denmark:
There are lots of diagrams in that book. I think it is a good read and presents a pretty thorough examination of the various stages of the power amp.
Randy Sloan used to publish kits of high quality DIY amps. I think if you dig enough you can find the schematics.

http://www.zusaudio.com/navigation/seal.htm

Also check out Nelson Pass DIY page for some really great articles and projects:

Amps
http://www.passdiy.com/amps.htm

Also there is much following for the kit based Lifeforce amplifiers from Hugh Dean if you want a very high quality amp with little else to do except get a nice case, buy a transformer and wire it up (i heard this amp and it is very good)

http://www.aksaonline.com/products_2_4.html

General:
Start off by reading the literature then forming ideas about what you think you want from an amp.

Get an idea about the case size (based on your other choices this size may change for increased heatsink area say.)
Sketch the mechanical layout of amp sections-

-transformers
-switches
-fuses
-rectifiers
-filter caps
-input circuitry
-approximate wiring
-output section
-input/output connections

once you nail down a design work from the schematic and build a BOM (bill of materials in excel or similiar) to keep your project sane. The BOM should contain every part in the amp, where you get it, how much it costs, who that vendor is, quantity needed...etc..

you will need to pay attention to:
how will you handle DC
how will you ensure stability (no oscillations)
how to protect against faults (dc, over current, thermal, input surges, you have to protect your speakers!!)

the devil is in the details but going through such an experience will give you much more respect for the makers of true high end gear. It is a long journey so be patient and keep an open mind.

If you happen to come across anyone from Dynaudio give them my regards. I love their speakers!
To Dpac996:
Thank you for your great support. I will buy that book and then try to start my amplifier project. I will remember to give your regards, if I see anyone from Dynaudio. Do you have Dynaudio speakers yourself, or do you just love the sound? I am just curious.

Kenneth P, Denmark
In my high school and college days (1950s) I built several amps, and an electronic crossover from schematics. In one case I used a metal bread baking pan for the chassis! The stuff sounded OK and I sure learned about electronics. Somehow I managed not to electrocute myself. With tube amps you do need to respect the output tube plate voltage which, even for a small amp, will run around 300 volts.

Have fun.