Building the Best "Used" Budget System under $3000

I've been reading several threads on all best equipment (most of it out of my price range). I'm convinced, for a music lover with a novice ear, that an affordable quality system can be assembled from "pre-owned" equipment. So, if you were building a COMPLETE system from the ground up for your best friend who was just getting started and only had a maximum of $3000 to spend, what would you recommend. This system is for the HiFi music lover only (no Home Theather) and should includes analog and CD. An expert would also consider the future need to upgrade once the "bug" takes over.
whyt_rabbit
OK...after a little research on this site and listening at the local Hi-fi, I've come up with the following:

Carver Sig. Sunfire Amp (300wpc) $800
B&W 805s with Stands $1700
Rega P3 2000 with Grado Blue $500
Ahjoeb Tjoeb CD 4000 $450
Cables etc.. $150 = $3600

A little over the limit but, hey I'm going to vegas this weekend so, come on lucky 7....If I feel the bass isn't quite their for this set up, I'll purchase a powered sub.
Pick up a used pair of Totem Model 1 speackers (~1000), and a used Golden Tube Audio or C-J tube preamp (~600). A used Bryston 3b-ST amplifier (~800) A clearaudio turntable (600) and whoops - i ran out of money and don't have a digital front end yet. Add a Sub later.
Manley stingray, tannoy saturn 8 or 10, nordost black knight ic, msb tech dac, nad or cambridge audio cd\dvd, diy cat 5 cables or search for crazy closeout deals on speaker cables and get best available for money left!!
I'll update you on my quest for reasonable HiFi @ used prices. I've changed my line-up as follows:

McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe Amp (90)
Conrad Johnson 10 pre-amp (modified) w/ phono(600)
VPI HW19 Jr. (540)
B&W Naut 805 speakers with Target Stands (1700)

Doesn't include shipping costs or the totally destroyed Rega P3 that UPS took out of commission.

As you can see, I blew right past my budget and I still don't have IC's, Power conditioning, Speaker cables! Not to mention a reasonable CD player. Oh well it was a noble attempt.

Don't have it all assembled yet, amp just arrived in the mail. I'm expecting great things. Thanks for everyone's help, your suggestions helped build this system. BTW A'gon is fantastic site.