budget towers? $500/pair

I am a novice in the knowledge of world of high-end audio equipment. I am looking to buy two very budget-minded towers that will fill a small/medium sized room for movies/music. I have a set of yamaha HS80m studio monitors along with the matching sub, and I am very happy with how these sound within a 5' foot range (i.e at my desk mixing music etc). However, these speakers do not seem to have a room filling sound any farther away than a desk seated position in relation to them on account that they are near-field monitors. Does anyone have advice as to whether or not I should stick it out with current monitors or upgrade to a 2.1 tower config for movies/music and if so which brand/model?
klemke89

Showing 4 responses by griffinconst

There's a guy here and on ebay named Lanemart that has Wharfedale 9.6 NIB for $450. I haven't heard them but that's a good price. Tsto.com wants more $ for 9.4's.
The dome midrange looks interesting on the 9.6 as well.
If anyone has heard these can you please comment.
Chek out a new listing here for Wharfedale EVO30 towers. These sound good to my ear. Well balanced with good bass and a touch of warmth. This guy is asking $475 that's a good price. The cabs on these are great. Real wood veneer with curved sides and very nice finish. You could do without a sub with these.
Disclaimer: I do not know the seller but I have heard this model speaker.
Hey....there's also a pair of Martin Logan Preface towers in the auction here. They have a ribbon tweeter that probably sounds good, with lots of detail. I haven't heard them though. If anyone knows these please give us some info. The auction starts at $400. Audio Advisor has em on sale for $998. Again, I do not know the seller.