Budget AV Receiver with Magnepan

I'm looking to build a 5 channel home theater/music system using Magnepan MMG-W's and CC2 (or possibly MC1's for FR and FL) with a Monitor Audio sub. Now I'm looking at inexpensive used high end AV receivers to tie it all together:

Rotel - 1055 75x5

NAD - T744 (can be had refurbished with warranty) 5x50W, not sure if this is enough to drive the Magnepans?

NAD - T754, a bit more power, can be had with warranty

B&K AVR 202 - 105 x 5, I've heard one of these and liked it, it's a bit older than the rest

Cambridge Audio 540R - 80 x 6, nice looking unit but haven't heard much about them compared to NAD/Rotel/B&K

And advice/experience on any of these would be greatly appreciated. I'm happy with 5 channel DTS, don't need HDMI (although would be nice), want something that can drive the small Maggies without struggling (don't need ground shaking volume here), and I want something that sounds *good*. I'm coming from a small Denon 75w x 5 Dobly Digital surround receiver (driving Monitor Audio Silver 5i's). I know seperates are better, but I'm trying to keep the wife happy ($$$). Thanks!

Brad
bfrank1972

Showing 1 response by sthomas12321

Ive owned all the cost no object stuff, and for future readers, magnepan mmg, mmgw,mmgc's, will all easily run off a 100+ watt receiver easily. I tried my MMg's on a Onkyo nr906 reciver, and it played the mmg's at loud levels. Just as loud as my Bryston 9bsst did.

You could even drive the Magnepan 1.6 with this receiver, as this receiver lets you bi amp (using extra rear channels) in a 4 or 6 ohm load, and giving you over 160 watts to the tweeters, and 160 watts to the bass panels. This is plenty!!

Most of these new receivers are able to bridge channels, or bi amp. The days of NEEDING huge seperate amps are almost over. Power has been increasing every year in these receivers.