Bookshelf vs. Floorstand

What is the difference between bookshelf and floorstanding speakers. There are lots of very expensive bookshelf speakers... do they perform better than cheaper floorstands?

I know it is usually the bass that is weak for bookshelf speakers but what if you have a sub? Will that make them comparable to floorstands? Can high end book shelf speakers from say focus or sonus fill in a big room as good as say hmm... paradigm 100s?
doodleboytoyb266

Showing 2 responses by doodleboytoyb266

Well... space is not an issue because my room is 22 x 20. I have personally compared the Sonus Cremona Auditor, Grand Piano Home, B&W 804 and Studio 60's and I should say that the Auditor creamed all of them in terms of mid range (well according to my taste). However, it does lack in bass and I figured that it can be addressed by a sub while a good mid-range comes with the speaker itself. Now what I cannot stomach are the stands - $1000 for the sexy Cremona stand! Actually I was planning to match it with a cheaper stand but hearing you guys mention how important stands are for bookshelf speakers I want to know more. Cant I match the Auditors with cheaper $100 stands? What is the net effect? Honestly I'd rather spend the $1000 for the stands on the speaker (i.e. a floorstander). For me that is better value but the mids of the Auditor are just to die for :)

Dilemma dilemma. If I go floorstander then I chooser between the 804, Grand Piano or Studio 100s. Which one???
Loki7177 - GOOD point. That was what I was thinking he he he... :)

Actually, I am also pondering how good the sonus auditors will be with my rotel 1055 and 1080 amp set-up. It will give them 200 solid watts but hey rotel is not mark levinson :). I cannot audition the auditors with the rotel so have to just guess or listen to your opinions. For sub- everybody says Rel but it is not available in my country. Will Velodyne match well too?