Bookshelf Speakers - Musical Fidelity A300 & Rock

Greetings All!

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I've got a Musical Fidelity A300 integrated and am looking for some bookshelf speakers for listening to mostly classic rock LP's via a Rega P5 turntable w/ the Rega Exact cartridge.

I've been gradually upgrading my equipment and originally had some Polk RTi-6's, but recently replaced them with the Polk LSi-7's. I like the 7's - the bass and midrange is much better than the RTi-6's, but the top end is just not "there" enough for me.

I know the tweeter is what has been getting such rave reviews on this LSi seires, but it's just too laid back for me and the type of music I listen to I guess. I can see it working great for classical or jazz - but there's just not enough presence in the top end for classic rock if that makes sense.

I've thought about some B&W, Triangles or Paradigms - but am just not sure what would work best with my amp and musical tastes. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
slate1

Showing 5 responses by slate1

Thanks for all the responses!

D_edwards: thanks, I'm sure the ATC's and Dynaudios would be great - they damned well better be for the money! I'm in a league a few steps down from that and am looking at around $800 or so tops.

The most interesting ideas have to do with jumpers, etc. and I will play with that first before replacing them. Thanks for all the help and, please, keep the recommendations coming!
I listened to some Paradigm Studio 20's today and liked them a lot. I'm trying to find a local dealer for the Von Schweikert's - everything I'm reading on them tends to lead me to believe I'd like them. Thanks again everyone!
Von Schweikert it is - and all I can say is WOW! The clarity and soundstage the VR-1's exhibit is astounding. These are just what I was looking for - all the punch of the LSi-7's coupled with a more upfront high end. They're not harsh at all - just have a much more forward response which is what I wanted.

I liked the Studio 20's too, but the imaging and bass response on the VR-1's was more to my liking.

I spent 7 hours in the car on Friday to go to The Home Theater Doctor and bring them back. I'd HIGHLY recommend anyone interested in the Von Schweikert line to contact Shane at www.hometheaterdoc.com - he's great to work with. The only thing I regret is that he had me listen to the VR4's and all I can say is that I've got a new goal in life and it's to own those 4's one day. I've never heard a speaker sound that good or present a soundstage like the VR4 - simply breathtaking!

Thanks again for everyone's help - I'm a happy man and, once again, it's all due to Audiogon!
I ended up bringing home the Dark Cherry color since Shane had them set up as demos and they were somewhat broken in. I wanted to make sure they worked well with the A300 integrated since he had them set up with Bel Canto.

I've ordered the African Hazlewood color and will be sending the demo Cherry ones back to Shane once he sends me mine.

I can't even describe the VR-4 Jr's! They are unbelievable but are just way out of my price range right now - perhaps in the future. For now, I'm quite happy with the VR-1's and will get a great deal of enjoyment out of them for sure.
Florida - man, you guys have gotten slammed this year haven't you! I'm right outside Charlotte, NC and we've been getting the remnants of all the hurricanes - I can't ever remember a season like this.

You're right - for the longest time I was never willing to spend more than a set amount for equipment - keeping me mostly confined to the "big-box" stores. Then along comes Audiogon and I'm able to pick up great quality used gear. The Musical Fidelity amp I just got I would never have been able to afford had I not picked it up used.

I've got a wife and kids to take care of and the money doesn't flow as freely into the hobbies as it used to. Thankfully, I've gotten quite good at buying and selling rare rock records, so PayPal has become my "slush-fund" for records and equipment.

At any rate - I'm looking at replacing my interconnects and cables next. I've wiped out my "fund" with these speakers, but as soon as I've got some more built up I'll be looking at cables. I've got the mid-line Monster stuff now (400 MKII interconnects and XP speaker cable with Monster banana terminators) that I've had for years. I've been looking at the Signal Cables and the Rapport line.

The guy that sold me the VR-1's really talked up the Rapport cables and they're priced about the same as Signal - just a bit more.

As for colors - you're right, the Cherry finish is very nice on the VR-1's; I really liked the African Hazlewood though. Van Schweikert does a great job with the finish work - very important when it comes to keeping peace within the family!