Bookshelf speakers for $500

A friend is looking for guidance on purchasing a set of bookshelf speakers for $500. See below for what is know regarding the system and room. Any advice is appreciated.

"The receiver we have at the moment is a Yamaha RX-496, which has 75watts per channel.

I may upgrade the receiver at some point, but the next purchase after these speakers is going to be a better turntable.

The room is probably about 400 sq ft.

Are loud and accurate mutually exclusive? Accuracy is definitely more important, since I don't really have carte blanche to kick out the jams all that often."
128x128ashra

Showing 1 response by llanger

I would reccomend that your friend scour sites such as this, Ebay, US Audio Mart, etc. for used speakers. Many great deals can be found. Speakers such PSB 400's, NHT 1.5's, Infinity RS 4000's, Paradigm Mini Monitors, and Platinum Audio PT 808's (excellent speakers all) can be had for $300.00 or less. I recently purchased a pair of PSB New Stratus Minis for $300.00 on Ebay. Good luck to your friend...and remember, it's not what other people say about audio equipment, it's what your ears are telling you.