Bookshelf Speakers For 350 Or Less?? new & used

Hi,

A female friend asked me to recommend some bookshelf speakers for $350 or less, but I'm not too familiar with many of those models (I've heard the Mission 731i at $200-ish, but not much else). Which used or new (perhaps manufacturer direct?) models would you folks recommend in that price range?

Her receiver / CD combo is Sony / JVC mass market stuff. She listens to a lot of classical and some acoustic-based rock/pop. Most of her listening is probably background while she's cooking or roaming the house, but she is a musician and she does *listen*.

Any info would be appreciated, including recommendations that cost less than $350.

Thanks,

Phil
phild

Showing 1 response by jvia

Are you wanting to spend the 350, thats something you have to addrss. There is a pair of B&W 302 right here on the site,posted yesterday, for 135 + ship, thats a very good deal. I have a pair of Conrad Johnsons SL21's of JBL L20t's for 175 that I think is a good value(duh) The Missions 731's or the NHT's are great as well. These are all available under 200 in my book. I honestly don't think you need to be DIYing it for someone not familiar with audio, females tend to be a little pickier than guys. And the Spica's, which are great, aren't what I call real rugged and don't move or ship well, as the voice coil's are at a very tight tolerance.
350, if you spend it all, takes you to another realm, in my opinion. The small Maggies like the SMG's are available for that used, another great value. There is also a pair of Proac Super Tablettes and a pair of Rauna Tyre on this site available for 350, both incredible loudspeakers.
You could buy a few of the above and some decent stands and cable(all used) and still get out for under 350. I guess it is harder than it sounds like.