Bookshelf speakers and record player for Marantz 2245 receiver?

I'm getting a marantz 2245 and looking for recommendations for speakers and a record player to go with it.

I live in Brooklyn and the aptmt isn't huge, so thinking bookshelf speakers, perhaps new.

Thoughts or recommendations?

Thank you!
128x128schadeyacres
What is your budget for the new speakers? Are you looking brand new,or used? Will you be putting these on a shelf,or will they need stands? 

Sorry for all the questions,but they may help in making recommendations. 
Staying with the vintage, maybe Dynaco A25 speakers and a Dual 1229Q turntable.  Both easily available
Thanks everyone.  I'm looking to spend no more than around $500 for the speakers.  Speakers can be new or used.  Probably gonna get a new turntable.

For the speakers they'd be on a table, probably dresser.  Close to the wall but can make sure there's enough distance.
(1) I would suggest that you actually test-drive the Marantz with a list of contenders and the all-too-many pretenders. I had the DYNACO A25s with the MARANTZ before I upgraded to the JBL L100’s. Their performance (or lack thereof ) was the driving reason for the change.
And the degree of audio performance improvement was epic .... The DYNACOs were comparative crap

(2) having said that, today’s bookshelves with their vastly improved designs, superior parts components, and now properly designed cross-overs unavailable back then, will generally smoke all of the "vintage" kit performance wise ... It's Not even close. ... Even today's budget kit would be my first choice over "vintage". The old stuff will also need surround replacement, cap replacements, generally have scraped cabinet finishes to boot ....

As has been said repeatedly to date, "vintage" in audio is not "vintage" in wines. In audio, it just means "old technology " and these are limited performance kit that are also failing units as they age.
i can understand a subjective yen for nostalgia kit reminiscent of one's youth .... Fine .... Enjoy .... But if it's maxing out performance, look elsewhere.
Suggestion for bookshelves that Excel and are designed to work well placed close to the wall.

REGA RS1’s / R1s

http://www.stereotimes.com/speak121305.shtml

".... The Rega R1 becomes my new budget reference speaker. In addition of its ability to get the fundamentals of music right, it adds clarity and resolution, and an ability to lay out a vivid and coherent 3-dimensional stereo image. In small room applications, what more could you want?

Immediate impressions are a clear and transparent portrayal with very high detail retrieval, fast and controlled transient response, and superb musical timing, both in articulating rhythms and tempi, and in placing instruments within the temporal flow and context of the performance. The RR125 is an outstanding mid/bass driver, sonically and musically right in line with the midrange performance of Rega’s amplifiers and phono cartridges. Get the midrange right and everything else will fall into place. Get it wrong, and all the king’s horses…

Unlike many inexpensive speakers, the R1 is a very high-resolution device. It is not “dumbed-down” to flatter less able partners or mediocre recordings, nor does it partake of the old British stereotype of too stiff an upper lip reticence. It handles nuance and exuberance equally well. It is capable of revealing differences in electronics and sources that less capable and opaque designs simply cannot resolve. ..."

highly recommended .