Blind Power Cord Test & results

Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity teamed up with the Bay Area Audiophile Society (BAAS) to conduct a blind AC power cord test. Here is the url:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/feature-article-blind-test-power-cords-12-2004.html

I suppose you can interpret these results to your follow your own point of view, but to me they reinforce my thoughts that aftermarket AC cords are "audiophile snakeoil"
maximum_analog

Showing 8 responses by dragon1952

I have not experimented with power cords myself, however, what the conclusions determined is that "We simply failed to prove that differences can be detected to a statistically significant degree using a blind ABX protocol"
I have always been skeptical that audible differences could be distinguished between power cords. There's simply too many other variables when it comes to the delivery of power to the component. However, having heard the same results regarding ABX tests involving amps and interconnects, and, having myself been able to distinguish differences between these components in my own experimentation, I would certainly not rule anything out until I performed some actual experiments myself. I think that the logic in ABX testing is seriously flawed and would tend to reject any results from such tests.
QUOTESorry for my rant here, but you guys kill me with the lack of links. The directions on how to post a link is found directly under the data input area and is labeled blah, blah, blaQUOTE

I know.....cut and paste is just soooo hard and soooo beneath us audio snobs!
I believe my first post offered some input. And my motive was to chastise you for your anality :^
QUOTEIt may be that our eyes and our brand perceptions and all of our other expectations contribute more to what we hear than we realize or care to admitQUOTE

Generally speaking, of course. Not everyone is taken in by glitz and hype but unfortunately that tends to happen much too often, no doubt. Speaking for myself, and many others I'm sure, I have been pleasantly surprised in the past to prefer a much lower cost alternative. I think, as you eluded to, differences are much more evident in our own systems with which we tend to be intimately familiar with. I would not sell yourself short and certainly would not be dismayed with your performance in the test, which is most likely the least reliable in this case.
QUOTESo, people who want to convince me that exotic power cords affect audio equipment, need to come up with some rational explanation as to how this might happenQUOTE

Right on! I mean, heaven forbid we should have to listen ourselves and make our own decisions. That's why scientists get the big bucks, right? :^
QUOTEDon't argue that it exists...tell me how it works.QUOTE

Exactly...it doesn't count unless you can explain it! Kind of like why we're all here. We aren't, really, unless you can explain it. Again, that's why scientists get the big bucks. Until they explain it, I won't believe I'm really here...plain and simple. :^
Eldartford....I'm glad you caught the sarcasm anyway. It's sometimes hard to convey without smiley faces. The one that rolls his eyes works pretty well. :^

QUOTEIf I believe, based on listening and science, that some audio tweek doesn't, and cannot possibly, work, a hundred people saying it does won't have much luck convincing me.QUOTE

LISTENING + SCIENCE is probably a good thing. It's the ones that rely strictly on science (or a/b comparisons) that bother me. BTW, a/b comparisons is NOT "listening".
Hmmmm....you think that would work for nookie too or should I stick to my lucky shirt?