Better buy: old flagship or new tier 2 AVR

I have recently upgraded my Athena F1 fronts to Martin Logan Aerius I's and need to drive them. I need a new AVR with some guts. I have read the reviews and countless forums (I know....seperates).

I can get an old flagship, B&K AVR202 or Yamaha DSP-A1 delivered for under $600. Or for that price I can get a tier 2 AVR Denon 3805 or Yamaha RXV2500. I cannot spend more.

My listening is 90% HT. I have a 5.1 set-up. Room EQ and features are nice, but my priority is sound quality. My main concern with an older flagship AVR (pre-2000) is that sound benefits i would gain by a superior amp section would be offset by dated technology, older DACS etc.

If you were in my shoes, what would your choice be?
bakammer

Showing 2 responses by bignerd100

Receivers do not work well with ML speakers. Even the more powerful ones just don't have the guts to drive them. Plus the few that can drive them as well as separates are as expensive as separates.

My favorite budget set-up for ML's is to use an AVR for processing (entry level new usually has the same processing cappabilities as the flagship new) and external power amps to drive the speakers. Power amps do not get outdated as quickly as processors.

Just a less expensive step towards separates.

Good luck!
IF you put something like this...

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1141146469

...with an AVR you will have ample power for FL/FR while freeing up some power for the C/SL/SR.

Good luck!