Best way to improve my Theater with $1500.00

I just won an award from my work. They gave me $1500.00 worth of Amazon gift cards. I want to use it on my home theater, and was hoping to get a little advise.

Right now I am in a condo, so my HT is basic. In about 6 months I will buy a house and build a dedicated home theater. I usually buy used gear, to save a small fortune. I have not spent any money recently on anything new. I did try a Pioneer Elite Receiver with the digital amps and HDMI and all that. It didn't sound as good as my B&K gear at all so I returned it.

My theater consists of a b&k Ref 50s2. B&K AV-5000S2 amp. Sony BDP-s550 blue ray running LPCP analong out to the Ref 50. All monster m1000 series interconnects. I also have a PS3 and a Direct tv box. Right now I have a 60" Panasonic Plasma, A thiel Smart Sub, DCM TFV-6.0 as mains and CX-17 as center, plus rears. When I get the full theater going again I will use my DCM TFV -10.0's as mains (I have 2 pair) and maybe rears/ center. I will also want to go with a front projector for video. I listen to both music and movies, and would like to look into streaming lossless from my PC.

So, Knowing my plan, what gear should I buy?

1. I have been debating on upgrading to an all Thiel system. I can pick up used speakers on Audiogon, craigslist o ebay pretty cheap. I may invest the 1500 twards new ones though.

2. Oppo bdp-105 or the step down. I know they do lossless streaming and have good DAC's. However, will I see that much increase over the DAC in my B&k? (since I coudl keep it instead of getting a new processor)

3. Get a new processor. One of the newer Marantz/ onkyo ? emotiva/ outlaw. Would I need a new or better blue ray at this point? Or just use my PS3 or PS4 when it comes out. Will I notice better sound/ vid quality with lossless formats by ising an oppo over the ps3 with a newer processor? Should I get an AVR and use it as a Processor?

4. Wait and buy a projector? I would probably like this potion least. Just because I can probably grab a deal on craigslist on a used one very cheap. I am less concerned about video quality and don't want 3D. I want a good picture but my thing is mainly sound.

5. When I build my theater I will build it to my ideal. I have spent 16 years building houses, so the construction is not a problem.

So Any thoughts or ideas on how to spend my money??
dcmlover

Showing 1 response by lemoncadillac

Hi

If you are not a all show person I would not buy any new speakers. You can find lots of great speakers on CL. Wives (I Know no emails) make lots of men get rid of there old school large speakers. You can find amazing sets of speakers that sound amazing. Pick up a new school Sunfire or similar powered subwoofer or make your own 12" woofers and power them with high quality mono or stereo amps, also from CL. 7.1,2 or 3 or 9.1,2 or 3. Just my 2 cents
Lemon