Best turntable setup for under $300

Dipping my toes in the vinyl world with a relatively limited budget. Any good suggestions on something that won't break a grad student bank?

I'm not ready for a true audiophile setup, just want something that sounds good and won't destroy my records. My knowledge of analog is very limited at the present time...\

Many thanks AG members!
rch34

Showing 1 response by mickeyf

Rega P2/Planar 2 (only with the RB250 arm not the older s-shaped one)USED. Often comes up around your price, sometimes with a decent cartridge that has enough life left to get you started. The older Planar 2 is a little nicer looking (and has the same thickness of plinth as the Planar 3 of that era)with the walnut surround, but the newer P2's may have the 'motor upgrade', ie fixed to the plinth instead of suspended on a belt.

Why? They're as close to 'hifi' sound as it gets in the entry level arena. Their main weakness is isolation and there are a ton of tweaks and platforms and stand options to eliminate most of the problem easily and cheaply. They are totally uncomplicated, mostly just plug and play.

And, it is probable you'll acquire 'the bug'. While there are a lot of similar and clone tables out there that may sound as good or similar, the Rega has the name and is an easy resale, if you buy right you wont lose when you go to upgrade.

Do some research in forums and reviews, go out and listen to one. It's a no-brainer really.