Best turntable setup for under $300

Dipping my toes in the vinyl world with a relatively limited budget. Any good suggestions on something that won't break a grad student bank?

I'm not ready for a true audiophile setup, just want something that sounds good and won't destroy my records. My knowledge of analog is very limited at the present time...\

Many thanks AG members!
rch34

Showing 1 response by johnnyb53

The Audio Technica AT PL120USB direct drive turntable with built-in (switchable) phono preamp and USB interface. $249 at the link. They're $369 and $399 elsewhere. Bought one for my 23-yr-old son for Christmas and it is surprisingly good. Comes with a heavy tracking DJ cartridge but I put on a Shure M97xE I had lying around and it's a very decent match with a smooth presentation but dynamic with excellent bass and rhythm & pace. The felt DJ slip mat isn't so useful for critical listening, but add a thicker mat and you'll be in business. It even has adjustable tonearm height.

Reasonably well built; weighs about 26 lbs. Tone Publications gave it a very favorable review considering the price and the tonearm is good enough to make good use of better cartridges such as the Ortofon 2M Blue and the Grado Platinum.